[Guide] How-to fix the keyboard map issue

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Beldar, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beldar

Beldar

1. Press Alt+F2 to get up "Run program".

2. Write setxkbmap se and press enter to get your keyboard set in Swedish, temporary.

3. Press Alt+F2 to get up "Run program".

4. Write terminal and press enter.

5. In the terminal window write: echo "setxkbmap se" >> .bash_profile and press enter.

6. Restart the computer.

7. In the menu bar, in the lower part of the screen, you should now see a icon for Swedish.

Note: setxkbmap se and echo "setxkbmap se" >> .bash_profile is for Swedish only. For other languages change se to your native country.

Beldar, Aug 5, 2008
  2. Beldar

janss

Or you can do it by manipulating the script by Acer as (I believe) most os us here have done.

As root, open the file /usr/bin/xkb_plugin_set_xorg.sh for editing, find the part XkbLayout and change the default setting gb,us to whatever suits you best, I have it as fi,gb,us and my computer boots up to finnish layout.

janss, Aug 5, 2008
  3. Beldar

J. Henrique P. Neto

Hi,

I couldnt make it do the portuguese accents in anyway.

My keyboard is in the american international layout (the keys) and the English language dont have accents as you should know 8)

If i change the keyboard layout as described above or using the new keyboard layout settings app after upgrade, i can do accents like "á" or "ç" but the keys are remaped to the brazilian keyboard layout (ABNT) and the hardware keys becomes a mess.

Could anyone help me with this?

I need to use the US international layout (hardware keys) and the Portuguese language input method so i can make accents using (' + letter).

Thanks
    {}s
    Henrique

J. Henrique P. Neto, Aug 11, 2008
Ask a Question