GRUB Stage 1.5 Read Error CF SSD

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Synx, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Synx

Synx

Has anyone run into a GRUB Loading stage1.5Read Error on boot. It seems about half the time i boot/reboot i get this error and the other half grub loads up fine. I am running a 32GB Compact Flash card with a CF to ZIF adapter. I have tried reinstalling grub many times with different options. I know the setup and config are correct because it works sometimes. I could find only one similar error via a google search http://www.mail-archive.com/bug-grub@gn ... 05815.html I may try LILO at this point but would prefer to keep GRUB if i can figure out a fix.

Synx, Dec 10, 2008
  2. Synx

kgorilla

What distro and Filesystem are using?

kgorilla, Dec 10, 2008
  3. Synx

Synx

Ubuntu and ext2

Synx, Dec 11, 2008
  4. Synx

rbil

Read up on the "Boot process" here ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_GRUB

You'll see that stage 1.5 is the partition table of the drive (first 30k after MBR). When grub reads this, it knows where to find the stage 2 files which of course reside on the hard drive. A read error suggests that there is either some problem with the partition table or possibly it's having a problem reading from your /boot directory to launch stage 2. I'm not sure which is the problem. You might try running fsck on your hdd to see if that fixes it.

Cheers.

rbil, Dec 11, 2008
  5. Synx

Synx

Switched to LILO still have the same problem intermittent, LILO error 0x0A which is bad sector flag. Still no idea whats going on. Like i sad sometimes it works fine sometimes not.

Synx, Dec 17, 2008
  6. Synx

Synx

Bump, still unable to solve this problem. Very frustrating :(

Synx, Dec 21, 2008
  7. Synx

Synx

Still unsolved, i will be installing a fresh copy of the Windows 7 beta in a few hours and will report back if the same issue arises.

Synx, Feb 5, 2009
  8. Synx

mattytee

Well, that oughta do it. Repartitioning and building a fresh filesystem should work, unless something screwy in the way the CF card moves the sectors around for wear-leveling is the problem. I thought LILO was high-level enough that it'd be transparent though.

If a superblock's bad, it's going to need repartitioned anyway. fsck (usually, like 95% of the time, in my experience) can't fix that. If the MBR's broken, fsck might fix it, or you might just rewrite it.

mattytee, Feb 5, 2009
  9. Synx

Synx

Strange errors in windows 7 now, it works for a few reboots then goes into a recovery console loop that it cannot resolve (saying its a registry corrupt error). I am at a complete loss. May have to try a different CF card or just go back to the 8gb ssd :(

Synx, Mar 1, 2009
Ask a Question