Google Translate Now Supports 103 Languages, Including Sindhi

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Google's Translate on Wednesday introduced support for 13 new languages. It claimed that with the latest addition, Google Translate now serves 103 languages and the search giant says the app approximately covers 99 percent of the online population.

The 13 new languages now supported by Google Translate are Amharic, Corsican, Frisian, Kyrgyz, Hawaiian, Kurdish (Kurmanji), Luxembourgish, Samoan, Scots Gaelic, Shona, Sindhi, Pashto, and Xhosa. Out of the 13 new languages, Sindhi is one which is spoken by people in India as well as Pakistan.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/internet/ne...upports-103-languages-including-sindhi-804022

Sefie, Feb 18, 2016
    Krissttina Isobe and IBMPC8088 like this.
  2. Sefie

vinaya

That's great.However, I don't use google translate because the translation is so poor that it is hardly legible. If you are using this service just for reference purpose, it will be a great help.

vinaya, Feb 19, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  3. Sefie

IBMPC8088

@Sefie Nice mention. It's great to see that they've kept building on the language translation functions even though they shut down their other projects like Google Labs. If you use Google Chrome, then you've seen that they make automatic web page translation possible by making it a part of the browser.

I'm not sure if Firefox has an extension for this, but it would be nice to see this available with it automatically for users who still want to use that and have autotranslation of 103 languages, but without having to switch browsers to do it.

@vinaya Accuracy is an interesting and important part of translation. You'll find that some languages translate very well, while others translate poorly. This is either because of the differences of the language structure, or the quality of the contributions they get from native speakers of a language to add to their algorithm. The translation can only be as good as the people who program it.

IBMPC8088, Feb 20, 2016
  4. Sefie

Krissttina Isobe

Thanks for the information! I can easily sell my books now to international countries using google's translate. This is great news for we writers! :)

Krissttina Isobe, Feb 26, 2016
  5. Sefie

Corzhens

Although Google Translate is far from perfect, I think it is good enough for a traveler like me. We used to have a problem in communicating especially in Hongkong during the early years of our travel. We had problems in talking with vendors or restaurant waiters. Unfortunately, last year when we were in Beijing, we were not able to avail of the Google Translate because Google is blocked in China. It would have been great to chat with the Chinese in the street.

And as time passes by, I'm sure Google Translate will keep on improving until such time that we can use it for a meaningful conversation.

Corzhens, Feb 28, 2016
  6. Sefie

Sefie

Google Translate is fairly good for a free app ;) So of course we can't expect that much from it, but if your language level is at least basic, then this software will be really helpful. Paid translating services are better, but more expensive and not practical at all ;) Unless you need a legal document translated, those need to be translated by a translator with credentials mot of the time ;)

Sefie, Feb 28, 2016
  7. Sefie

Sefie

They do, but I stopped using Firefox last year :/ The thing started to load everything slowly then crashing. Now I'm using Google Chrome and super happy about it. I often forget about the Google Translate button (left to translate the whole page, right click for options). Is not perfect, but it's such an immense help when you want to translate short individual messages!

Sefie, Feb 28, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  8. Sefie

Sefie

Google Translate is also great if you are learning a new language :) Google translate is helping me with basic phrases and words ;) It does get some colloquial expressions right as well, so is not bad at all for a free translation service ;)

Sefie, Feb 28, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  9. Sefie

IcyBC

I use Google translate on my blogs sometimes, especially when people left me a comment in a different language. They are not exact, but the general idea is fine. I also have bloggers from other countries that wrote in their own languages so Google translate comes in handy.

IcyBC, Feb 28, 2016
  10. Sefie

IBMPC8088

I see what you mean. Normally I try to switch back and forth between Opera and Firefox whenever using a graphical web environment for things on the net, but lately Firefox has not been delivering when it comes to plug-ins. If it was doing that with the translation like it is with the flash on my public system, I can see why you went back to Chrome.

IBMPC8088, Mar 1, 2016
  11. Sefie

Hozyboy

Google translate is a really fun app. It is among the first apps I download when I buy a new phone. We ave this habit of chatting with my friends in other languages apart from English. It is really fun. Plus people never know what we are saying.
    No one ever understands my texts.

Hozyboy, Mar 5, 2016
Ask a Question