Going back to Linpus from Ubuntu..a real prblem.

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Banny706, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Banny706

Banny706

My problem started when I installed Ubuntu 8.10 with NetBook Remix and ext3 partitions. I decided to switch back to Linpus for speedy boot and better wireless connections. 65% with Ubuntu and %100 with Linpus @ 15ft. I had a doozy of a time to get the recovery USB to boot. This was my comment to a post on Macles' website.

http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/12/acer ... 5073486309

I think my recovery problem had something to do with my HD formatted with ext3. I could get the USB to boot to point where it asked to format whole disc. When selected, it would reboot.

I used Macles' aairlinux program to put the latest v21 ISO on the USB. After that, the first thing I did was manually fix the grub on the USB.
    In (/media/USBINSTALL)/boot/grub/device.map I had (hd0) /dev/sda. I changed it to /dev/sdb

I copied the existing "grub.conf" to "menu.lst" and kept "menu.lst" in the grub directory. You may have to chmod 755 everything in that directory. I had to.

I executed "sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/USBINSTALL /dev/sdb" and unmounted USB.

I went to the Gparted website to get latest Live CD and used Unetbootin to put it on another USB stick. I booted AAO with Gparted and deleted all partitions. Then I rebooted with AAO Recovery USB and much happiness.

Special thanks to jini's post on 28 Dec 08 for pointing me in the right direction. I suspected ext3 may be the culprit and used Gparted to destroy it. I have the AAO Linpus with 120GB HD. Hope this works for you.

Banny706, Jan 31, 2009
Ask a Question