GIMP and Pirut Disaster

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Captain Calamity, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Captain Calamity

Captain Calamity

A warning:

Last night I downloaded GIMP using Pirut. GIMP wouldn't run as the lib-gimp was a different version to GIMP. I couldn't find an older version of lib-gimp, so I asked Pirut to remove GIMP.

Pirut removed GIMP and then most of my Linux installation, turning my poor A110 into a paperweight. I have just recovered the system using the CD and I *do not* plan to try and repeat this FUBAR to see why it happened.

Thought i'd better warn everyone - perhaps yum or rpm would be a better way to go than Pirut.

CC

Captain Calamity, Sep 3, 2008
  2. Captain Calamity

collinsc

Hi Captain,

Thanks for the warning. I encountered the same problem, when I installed GIMP after reading the article "Ten Tweaks for a New Acer Aspire One" on the home page of Aspire One User. My GIMP also doesn't run, with the same error message about the mismatched versions. I was about to uninstall the version 2.4.6 libgimp file, so that I could look for a version 2.4, but it wanted to also uninstall GIMP itself. So I searched this forum, and found your post.

I'm surprised no one has replied to your post, because I would think lots of other people would have read the same article that I did. I guess I'll just leave a dead copy of GIMP installed, until someone figures out the problem. I don't really want ot turn my two-day-old AAO into a paperweight!

Chris

collinsc, Sep 7, 2008
  3. Captain Calamity

macles

What's the error message? It works using sudo yum install gimp on the terminal.

macles, Sep 7, 2008
  4. Captain Calamity

admin_one

can you use yum to uninstall software? how would you ininstall, say, GIMP after you found it doesn't run?

Thanks

admin_one, Sep 8, 2008
  5. Captain Calamity

jukk

I wouldn't trust any graphical application. Safest option is
    rpm -e gimp gimp-libs

jukk, Sep 8, 2008
  6. Captain Calamity

Captain Calamity

Apologies for delay in reply - i've been busy elsewhere.

yum works fine, and installs the latest version of GIMP and all supporting files. It also removes packages cleanly.

Pirut tried to get me again removing something else - this time I was fastest on the trigger and killed it before it killed my Aspire One. I agree with the advice above - do a google search for yum and give the GUI package managers a wide berth,

CC

Captain Calamity, Sep 8, 2008
  7. Captain Calamity

Fuerst

Hi,
    I just last night installed GIMP from the pre-installed software on the AA1. it automatically downloaded new packages and updates and is running smoothly so far.

obviously AvĀ“cer has pre-installt dozens oder hundreds of programmes. just look for them before ging through the pain of downloading them separately

cheers
    Christian

Fuerst, Sep 9, 2008
  8. Captain Calamity

Captain Calamity

GIMP isn't preinstalled on the 110 (at least it wasn't on mine).

It appeared in the list of software in the default Pirut repositories but when asked to install it added incompatible versions of gimp-lib (an older version) and the latest verion of GIMP. GIMP would not then run with the older library, prompting the disaster when I asked it to uninstall.

The "available" packages on Pirut are *not* preinstalled on the One. Pirut grabs them from the net, and it does a crap job of it. "$sudo yum install gimp" is not difficult, and makes sure you get the latest (and compatible libraries).

CC

Captain Calamity, Sep 9, 2008
  9. Captain Calamity

mista2

I initially installed from the GUI package manager - Gimp installed OK, but also complained of the lib version mismatch
    The GUI Package manager only installed GIMP 2.4.0-0.rc3.fc8.i386.

using
    >sudo yum install gimp

updated the package to 2.4.6-1.fc8

Just when I thought I could live with this distro! Oh well, I'm still having problems locating a USB/Serial driver that works, so if I haven't solved that one by tonight, ubuntu is going on. :)

mista2, Sep 9, 2008
  10. Captain Calamity

ianb

Hi,

I am a complete novice to Linux and have encountered the same problem re incompatible libraries that others have had using the instructions in the "ten tweaks" section of the website. ;)

How do I update the library? I installed and then uninstalled Gimp using the inbuilt package manager with no problems to the Aspire.

Please avoid acronyms if possible as I don't yet know what they are referring to. Also what is Pirut?

Thanks for any help.

Ian

ianb, Sep 10, 2008
  11. Captain Calamity

Captain Calamity

Hi.

Pirut is the name of the inbuilt package manager (Package Installation Removal and Update Tool, or something along those lines.

IMHO it isn't very good at it's job as it often doesn't download the latest package, and frequently installs packages which are incompatible. Worse, it randomly screws up package removal and kills the One (when a package is installed it often needs other packages to make it work. Pirut installs these "dependent" packages automatically and should remove them automatically when the main package is removed. Trouble is it can get trigger happy and remove *everything* which is when you are in trouble).

Google "linux" and "yum". Typing "sudo yum install gimp" from the terminal will update/install gimp (the latest version and matching libraries) no problem (leave off the sudo if logged in as root). yum will remove unwanted software just as easily without having to use Pirut.

HTH

CC

Captain Calamity, Sep 10, 2008
Ask a Question