Getting music from external cd drive

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by gale_ce, Sep 29, 2008.

1. gale_ce

gale_ce

Hi

I am having real problems trying to get music from a cd in an external disk drive to save to the hard drive.
    I have connected the external drive and it will play the music through media master (but not Amorak) I can't when looking in the files on the CD see the files to copy and paste in to my music files (as you would in Windows) I assume there must be a way but not sure how
    I am very new to Linux, and finding everything quite complicated at the monet.
    Any help would be much appreciated!

gale_ce, Sep 29, 2008
  2. gale_ce

rbil

Are you talking about Audio CDs? You wouldn't want to store large wave files on your Aspire. Look for some audio cd ripping software to extract the cuts as OGG or MP3 files for storage on your Aspire and then Amarok will be able to add them to your collection. A search in Pirut for "audio cd ripper" should give you some options, such as ripperx and others.

Cheers.

rbil, Sep 30, 2008
  3. gale_ce

kevin

I believe that if you copy-and-paste the individual audio tracks on Windows (at least with Vista) what actually happens is it copies a shortcut to the actual CD. It doesn't copy any data. This is fine, of course, until you take the CD out, and then it will stop working. But I imagine that Windows can probably be set up to decode the CD audio and create some sort of file -- probably a WMA file. Windows being Windows, it probably does this in a way that hides all the internals so you can't see what's going on.

Linux isn't like that :)

`grip' is a good CD ripper for Linux, and it's in the standard software repository. You can convert your CD audio to MP3 (or something else, if you prefer) and it will take a lot less room. Whatever software you use, you might have to play with the settings to get a good balance between file size and quality -- although the defaults used by grip will suit many people, I imagine. A decent audio CD ripper will use a database like freedb to full in the artist/title/etc tags automatically, and write a sensible filename for the results (e.g., prelude_in_d_minor.mp3, not track_001.mp3).

kevin, Sep 30, 2008
  4. gale_ce

Guest Guest

Hi. I have just installed Grip to try and rip some music cd's but when I start the program a message says

"unable to initialize [dev/cdrom]" the cd drive is plugged in and plays cd's through Media Master

any ideas?

Guest, Dec 14, 2008
Ask a Question