Get Windows 10' prompt adopts malware-like tactics to lure you into upgrading

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Sefie, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Sefie

Sefie

Do you want to download Windows 10 now or now? That’s the question I found myself faced with when I opened an irregularly used Windows 8.1 laptop last night.

Once a small box begging for a reservation in the corner of the screen, the “Get Windows 10” pop-up prompt has morphed to consume the majority of the display, and worse, it only presents users with two clear actionable buttons: Upgrade now, and Start download, upgrade later. There’s no immediate “No thanks” option whatsoever.

To be fair, you can still simply close the window using the X in the upper-right corner, and if you click through the itty-bitty inconspicuous chevron on the right-edge of the window there may be a “Nope” prompt somewhere further down the line. (I closed the prompt before exploring the auxiliary pages.) But having the only two large, clearly actionable options on a pop-up page both lead to a Windows 10 download feels inherently icky—like Microsoft’s trying to trick less-savvy computer users into downloading the operating system with tactics often used by spammers and malicious websites.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3014...like-tactics-to-trick-you-into-upgrading.html

Sefie, Dec 12, 2015
Ask a Question