Get the internal microphone working

Discussion in 'Linux' started by bit-ninja, Aug 9, 2008.

1. bit-ninja

bit-ninja

I figured how to get the internal mic working.

1. Upgrade to ALSA 1.0.17
    2. Add the "options snd-hda-intel model=acer" option to the /etc/modprope.d/alsa-base file
    3. Mute one of the mic channels.

It seems that with both on, they actually cancel each other out in some way.

All you have to do is unlock the L and R channels of "Digital" recording device and drop one of the channels to the bottom (I chose Left). And then make sure the "Internal Mic" is selected in the Option tab. Also, fiddling with the "Capture" recording device I was able to set the record level so it would pick up my voice without a lot of hiss.

Honestly I don't know if 1) and 2) are strictly required for this to work... it is just what I did. Oh yeah, and I also added "blacklist snd_pcsp" to the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file to get rid of the scratchy noises during playback.

Thanks again to Mike82 for discovering this info about the internal mic. He has another way to fix this documented here

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=164&start=180

One more item checked and working!

bit-ninja, Aug 9, 2008
  2. bit-ninja

sbemail

Did you build the new alsa drivers from scratch?

sbemail, Aug 9, 2008
  3. bit-ninja

bit-ninja

bit-ninja, Aug 9, 2008
  4. bit-ninja

sbemail

Thanks, for some reason the other way that has supposedly worked for people (rebuilding 1.0.16) wasn't working 100% for me. These instructions solved it for me (specifically, the first post of the given url above, and model=acer).

sbemail, Aug 10, 2008
Ask a Question