Full Win Xp Vs. nLited win Xp

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Veesta, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Veesta

Veesta

Hi,

I just bought aspire one with linpus and, of course i wanted to play with it. I found instructions how to add more RAM. Have 1.5Gb now, had to drill one screw as it was too tight and eventually broke it. No biggie, my drill was about twice the size of Aspire, so... :lol:

I have tweaked it as per instructions found here and it is running just fine. Only one glitch, FF3.0.7 seems to hang for a while when i focus on address bar and try to type something. Just few seconds...
    Same for scrolling right after the page has loaded. hangs there for a while.

However, my real question is, how can i break my Aspire One?
    No, seriously, :lol:

It is about what are the differences between Full version of Win Xp and nLited version of win Xp?
    I have found instructions on how to do those too, but is it worth it?

I have no problems re installing Win Xp, but i have concerns about if the windows version would be crippled and could not do something.
    Like, i have to install a TV tuner and it says i am missing a component from windows. No joy...

I'm sure most of the stuff i strip out is something i never need, but but...

Edit: currently, i have full Xp in. Sorry for not making it clear. :)

Veesta, Mar 9, 2009
  2. Veesta

ANDERSROSE

nLited XP is the fastest but i have best experience with Full :D

ANDERSROSE, Mar 9, 2009
  3. Veesta

dismal

My Nlite'd XP runs like a top without issues. Mind you my full vista install runs pretty slick (I've only had 1 system reboot which imo for vista is pretty good lol). as long as you don't remove any of the wrong bits nliting your xp will turn out to be a very pleasant surprise.

dismal, Mar 10, 2009
  4. Veesta

jackluo923

Nlite is basically a customized version of Full Win XP. Depending on which feature you remove/add, performance may vary. It could perform better or worse. It might also cause BSODs if you integrate functions improperly.

Nlite isn't for average computer user. If you don't know your way around windows, then nlite is not for you.

jackluo923, Mar 10, 2009
  5. Veesta

Plastikman

there are a few obvious advantages to a slightly trimmed down XP with nlite. You can remove a lot of annoying app's that are default that even microsoft does not support anymore. for example, netmeeting, classic MSN messanger, my breifcase.. the list goes on.

It is also nice getting rid of stuff You know you wont need, games, remote assistance, remote desktop, Xp themes/screensavers, extra languages, etc.

you can also remove the ton of bloat from drivers you know you wont ever need, amd chipsets, sony jogwheels, nic cards (you'll install your own driver for those), etc..

With that little bit of overhead gone can save valuble realestate if you are on an SSD model. not to mention, possibly a few less services running.

You can also configure Nlite to pre configure your services and security..

in the end you can bearly touch it or strip to nothing... it is up to you and how you like your enviroment...

Usually the more you strip, the better performance/drive space you can potentually gain,, on the other hand, as you pointed out, the less you strip, the better you are prepared for anything you might run into on the road that requires additional services/drivers/apps... i am running a stripped down XP myself with some comprimises for things i "might need" like remote desktop..

the way I see it.. i tend to see my laptop OS as disposable, I have a habbit of formatting and starting over every 6 months or so.. the same on my gaming PC.. i run minimal security on those devices for performance.

Plastikman, Mar 10, 2009
  6. Veesta

mrainey

I have 1GB RAM and the 160GB HDD with XP Home. I've manually tweaked XP just a bit, but it ran very well right out of the box. Drive space shouldn't ever be an issue for me. Speed is surprisingly good.

I'd recommend against making too many changes. There's really no point, unless you just like to play.

mrainey, Mar 10, 2009
  7. Veesta

Plastikman

Don't forget.

Windows xp is going on 8 years old now?

A Pentium 2 300Mhz with 128mb of ram 600x800 SVGA video is the recomended (these specs changed a little with various Sevice packs).

Any flavor of windows XP will be very happy on todays netbooks as long as the drivers are available.

Plastikman, Mar 11, 2009
  8. Veesta

jono400

Yep have to agree dont think you would personally find much difference in overall performance with a slightly striped out version off xp, you have upgraded your ram etc, was personaly running full xp pro on the standard ram ( prior to upgrading ram ) and everything worked a treat.

so keep to full xp !!

jono400, Mar 11, 2009
  9. Veesta

kenwshmt

There is another option.. multiboot..
    Keep the fat one on there and put a tiny slimmed down version as another boot..
    tinyxp's function perfectly well in 700 meg after an install, and are happy in 2 gig partitions
    1 gig fuctions, but it will run out of space very quickly, and may not successfully install on a 1 gig partition, even though it doesn't occupy it all .

kenwshmt, Mar 12, 2009
  10. Veesta

Veesta

Thanks all!

I think i keep my full Xp for now.

Veesta, Mar 16, 2009
  11. Veesta

Veesta

Update

Linpus -> Xp -> ubuntu ->Linpus

:p

/me thinks i ar using Linpus from now on.

Xp and ubuntu just "did not feel right" even if i am used to debian. (And have Vista in my main computer. I have been using Windows from the times of DOS...)
    Red hat derivative seems good for this machine. :p

Veesta, Mar 28, 2009
Ask a Question