Format tool

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by keksler, Oct 24, 2008.

1. keksler

keksler

Hi, I´m pretty new to Linux and especially the AA1.

I´m looking for format tools because I had to recover my system after some FF 3 installation problems.
    BTW: I had problems to create the USB Recovery Stick from the DVD because I had insufficient hard disk space on my old notebook. After six failed attempts it worked on my brothers PC with more HD space.

The Recovery Stick utilizes some sort of file system that can´t be read nor formated with my XP system. The AA1 has no problems at all to read the stick and the content. Therefore I was looking for a format tool at Linpus´ file manager but couldn´t find one. I´ve googled a little bit and found that console instructions like cfdisk or mkfsdos could work. Both doesn´t seem to be available, even when logged in as root.

Gparted seems a little bit too much for the remaining 3.6 GB SSD space to format the memory stick to FAT32 or NTFS. The windows program convert.exe couldn´t finish NTFS conversion but recognized the stick as of FAT32 type.

Do you know any other programs? Gnu Formatter (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5840932) seems to be ok for that task but I don´t know how to install or whether it will work on a "regular" linux box in the current state.

Thank you for your help in advance!

keksler, Oct 24, 2008
  2. keksler

keksler

I've learned that Fedora 8 (the core of Linpus Lite) doesn't use cfdisk anymore. Instead it uses Parted (command line GParted). Therefore I've installed the parted-rpm of Fedora 8.

I could format my memorystick using parted /dev/sdb mkfs fat32.

keksler, Oct 25, 2008
  3. keksler

keksler

keksler, Oct 26, 2008
  4. keksler

scottro

Actually, it seems that cfdisk wasn't in the older versions of Fedora, though I believe it made an appearance in F9. It's definitely in F10.
    There's also good old fashioned fdisk, though I think parted is now preferred. For my needs fdisk works and it's the old dog new tricks thing.

I have my own little dated fdisk guide at http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/fdisk.html

scottro, Oct 26, 2008
Ask a Question