Force quit ?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Dopameen, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Dopameen

Dopameen

Hello !

This is the very first time I am using Linux. I am looking for a way to force quit firefox or the file manager that feeze quite often :roll: I suppose I have to use the terminal ? Could you help me please ?

Thanks

Dopameen, Dec 13, 2008
  2. Dopameen

janss

Using terminal and the KILL command is the best way.

Open terminal
    Type "ps aux" - You'll get a list of running processes full of lines like this
    Code:
    username     5480 10.5  6.2 211076 96376 ?        Sl   14:00   3:22 /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.4/firefox
    Look for the program that has freezed (for example Firefox). The first number after your username on the line is PID, in this case 5480.
    Then just give the command "kill 5480" to kill Firefox. If that doesn't work, try "kill -9 5480", that should kill it.

janss, Dec 13, 2008
  3. Dopameen

jinx022

Alt+Ctl+Del works in Linpus much like it does in Windows XP. Just find the offending process firefox or thunar (file manager), right click on it and select "kill". No need to open a terminal.

jinx022, Dec 13, 2008
  4. Dopameen

daldred

There's also the Kill Cursor - press CTRL-ALT-ESC and the mouse pointer becomes a skull & crossbones. Point and click to kill.

(It works on mine - I don't remember doing anything to enable it on the One, so I assume it's default as with most Linuces).

daldred, Dec 13, 2008
Ask a Question