First Impressions (8gb SSD, Linux Version)

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by smacman, Jul 8, 2008.

1. smacman

bdogg64

Has anyone tried to boot from the SD reader? I have tried it on my Aspire One and it doesn't give me the option to boot from it.

bdogg64, Jul 11, 2008
  2. smacman

Flaterik

I boot form ext cd , from usb and from floppy but i haven't tried the sd one

Flaterik, Jul 11, 2008
  3. smacman

bdogg64

Small update. I have installed Ubuntu 8.04.1 and its working pretty good. The wireless card did not work for me out of the box but after some compiling of the madwifi-source, it is working now. I haven't managed to get either of the SD card readers to work yet, but I will have to look into that more. Ubuntu netbook remix also works pretty well. I will post a photo of that later today hopefully.

To answer one of the questions about 6.4 GB being available for Linpus, is that another 1GB is set up as a swap partition and I suppose the remaining is from formatting. I'm currently dual booting Linpus and Ubuntu which works fine. I resized the Linpus partition to 3.5 GB and used to rest for Ubuntu and left the swap space alone. I haven't attempted a ram upgrade or anything yet, but the panel on the bottom of the unit is not for ram upgrades, its just an empty slot for future 3G upgrades I suppose.

B

bdogg64, Jul 11, 2008
  4. smacman

bdogg64

Skype works in Ubuntu with video calling available.

bdogg64, Jul 12, 2008
  5. smacman

smacman

Did you get the mic working in Ubuntu?

smacman, Jul 12, 2008
  6. smacman

matthiaskie

I went to one of the few stores (in Germany) that sell the Aspire One to check if dbs's "hack" (xfce-setting-show from a terminal, and then use that to get the Desktop bar) works. What was missing (of course) was the root password, so I couldn't install anything.

However, on asking the shop staff, I was told that the OS comes pre-installed, without the user ever getting to set the root password herself. Moreover, they don't give you any CD or DVD to install the OS yourself. Putting a whole new OS on seems to be the only way to make that machine useful...

...does anybody have other experiences -- with the root pw and the OS?

matthiaskie, Jul 12, 2008
  7. smacman

Ariel

First time you switch it on you are asked to set a password along with a few regional settings.

Ariel, Jul 12, 2008
  8. smacman

dbs

The sysem comes pre-installed but when you turn it on the first time you get a setup procedure that allows you to choose your language. You also have to set a password, which will work as the root password. The default user will log in automatically and you only need the password
    for root access.
    The package comes with a CD/DVD that allows you to reinstall the system. You can even create a bootable USB stick with the CD.

If they told you something else in the store they have no clue. I have a german retail version btw.

dbs, Jul 12, 2008
  9. smacman

bdogg64

So far I haven't been able to get the mic working with the sound recorder. The recording devices show up, but I'm not getting any playback after I record.

bdogg64, Jul 12, 2008
  10. smacman

wunderbar

I'm really disappointed if the battery life is that low. 1:45 with wifi browsing is pretty poor. I didnt' want to have to buy the six-cell battery but if the battery life really is that bad when I get my unit I'll have no choice. Disappointing.

wunderbar, Jul 12, 2008
  11. smacman

bjrn

Ah, of course. Thanks for the answer!

Although I'm still a bit surprised that Linpus and all pre-installed apps, set up specifically for netbooks and other low-end hardware platforms takes 3GB of space. Although I have to admit I don't anticipate needing all that much space free, so I shouldn't complain. :)

bjrn, Jul 14, 2008
  12. smacman

Kev50027

Unfortunately, after talking to several owners of the 8GB model, it appears it has no easy way to get to the RAM. You must disassemble the entire unit, remove the motherboard, flip it over, install the RAM, and re-install everything. It shouldn't be that hard if you do it carefully, but I'm sure it voids your warranty.

Kev50027, Jul 14, 2008
  13. smacman

bb320

There is no sticker...or anything on the system to show that you actually disassemble your system. so if you don't scratch your system or break any of the legs from the casing you should be good.

It's really not that hard to take apart your system. Been there done that, and upgraded to 1.5 GB

Installed tweaked out XP, result - no go. The SSD driver (still using a generic driver from 2001, sigh) is not available so whenever it needs to access the SSD it's damn slow, otherwise, it's not bad.

Installed Ubuntu most devices work out of the box, except the usual mic and wifi - again i'm not a linux expert so I have no idea how to fix some of these stuff.

Seem like the best option is to tweak the default Installation....

Can you install RDP client onto the system?

bb320, Jul 15, 2008
  14. smacman

wunderbar

I just got my 8GB model yesterday, and I was pleasantly surprised with the Battery life. Not the 3 hours rated by Acer, but not the 1:45ish some people were reporting. I didn't let it run all the way down to empty because I had to go out, but I ran it to 30%, and based on that and the estimated time left I would have gotten about 2:20 of battery life. still probably gonna pick up the 6-cell battery eventually, but if I can get close to 2.5 hours that will get me by for a while.

wunderbar, Jul 15, 2008
  15. smacman

nizmo

I got my One yesterday, I am happy with it, only thing which might actually make me take it back is the noisy fan !!! You dont need your ear up to it to hear it, its that noisy! Really irritating. I wonder if its just my One that has a noisy fan problem.?

nizmo, Jul 17, 2008
  16. smacman

Sidewinder

@nizmo
    Take it back..

Or maybe i disconnected mine accidentally during the memory upgrade.. :p

Seriously, my one is very quiet, i can't notice it at all.

Sidewinder, Jul 17, 2008
  17. smacman

Flaterik

I heard the noisy fan only when i'm in totally and absolute silence (4.00 am ;) ) In normal situation i can't hear nothyng.

Someone can hear this small noise in a total silence situation?

Flaterik, Jul 17, 2008
  18. smacman

nullimage

Yes, i can hear the fan very clearly, it's quite noisy. And i believe the rotation increases when the cpu is under a heavier load, since it clearly makes more noise when you're using the one, compared to when it's just idling.

nullimage, Jul 17, 2008
  19. smacman

Flaterik

Yes , so it's a normal situation , the normal behaviour of the system

Flaterik, Jul 17, 2008
  20. smacman

nizmo

Hmm, Im going to have to consider taking it back... :x

It really is noisy, from the moment you turn it on, like a grinding/vibrating noise and changes throughout when theres more load other vibration noises start.

nizmo, Jul 17, 2008
Ask a Question