Finding The Right Wireless Card?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by oojosheoo, Oct 8, 2008.

1. oojosheoo

oojosheoo

Well I been trying to do as much research as possible and I find my self at a complete stop.

The is my scenario:

I have a AA1 with XP 160 HDD 1.5 GB RAM and I want to install OSX and Backtrack 3 on separate partitions. Now to my understanding the stock wireless chip on the AA1 will not work with OS X 10.5.5. And by checking Backtrack 3 laptop compatible list it says the stock will work. So i am kind of in a loop here.

So my question to you guys:

I probably will have to switch out the wireless chip to be compatible with OSX and backtrack. Any idea which one? Thanks you guys ;)

-josh

oojosheoo, Oct 8, 2008
  2. oojosheoo

denshaotoko808

My understanding is almost any wireless card with a broadcom chipset will work for OSX. As far as drivers for other OS you'll need to find them.

denshaotoko808, Oct 8, 2008
  3. oojosheoo

oojosheoo

I will do more research thanks for the fast response.

oojosheoo, Oct 8, 2008
  4. oojosheoo

oojosheoo

I have concluded that Broadcom chipset is great for XP and OSX but bad with Backtrack. If I want to use Backtrack to sniff packets or inject the atheros chipset is the best. So I come to you guys again for help. Is there any atheros chipset cards that would work under XP and OSX?

oojosheoo, Oct 9, 2008
  5. oojosheoo

theCollector

correct me if i'm wrong, but the stock wifi card in my AA1 is an atheros. hmmm...

my suggestion would be, get the dell wifi card that they talk about here, and then get an atheros USB stick etc, for backtrack. I'm going to be tri-booting BT3 as well. i didn't think about the cards. thanks for bringin it up!

theCollector, Oct 10, 2008
  6. oojosheoo

zakfontaine

I have installed Dell 1390 and a 1490 in two different Aspire one's, and they both work excellent with xp and os x. I'm not sure about backtrack. I can't really tell a performance difference between the two (or 3 including the stock card). Yes, the included card is Atheros, but will not work with os x. Hope this helps!

zakfontaine, Oct 10, 2008
  7. oojosheoo

oojosheoo

You are correct. Sorry i was getting ahead of myself. I was thinking about the Dell 1300 series Wireless card while typing my response. Let me know if you have any luck with the triple boot. ;)

As for the wireless cards I think I am going to go with the dell card. Thanks again you guys.

oojosheoo, Oct 10, 2008
Ask a Question