Finally, Keyboard Cover

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by IcyBC, Jan 13, 2016.

1. IcyBC

IcyBC

I bought a keyboard cover for my MacBook and I am glad I did. From the picture in this post, you can tell what keys I used the most, and usually these are the letters that will disappear with time.

The cover is made of silicone and at first it was funny to the touch. I had a hard time for the first day staying on the correct keys, but I am now comfortable with them.

With this keyboard cover, I feel protected and hopefully the letters will stay visible for a long time. Do you think it is necessary to protect your keyboard?
    IMG_2589.jpg

IcyBC, Jan 13, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  2. IcyBC

Marla013

Yes, I do. I use a keyboard protector for my MacBook because I tend to be messy around my laptop. I am not necessarily spilling coffee or crumbs on my keyboard but the amount of dust that gets in between the keys, I just can't tolerate it. Mine is blue with the letters stamped or designed on it. It's generic so I got it really cheap.

The downside, though, is the speaker sounded muffled.

Marla013, Jan 14, 2016
    IBMPC8088 and IcyBC like this.
  3. IcyBC

IcyBC

@Marla013 the dust and dirt are what I was concerning too! I don't worry about spilling and crumb as much, but I keep seeing the dust settling in the middle of the cracks between keys.

My keyboard cover is generic too, and it came with the covers for the outside also. It was cheap! I haven't notice anything different with the sound yet; it sounds the same!

IcyBC, Jan 14, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. IcyBC

Sefie

Sweet cover :D I need to get one of those for my laptop, ever since the spilled water incident I have been trying to find a suitable one for my laptop! That and of course not placing anything with liquid in it... Learnt my lesson.

Sefie, Jan 16, 2016
  5. IcyBC

Humble

That's a nice cover. I think keyboard covers are most definitely useful and a necessity. I had spilled water/ food on my keyboard one too many times before finally deciding to get one. I got used to the feeling fairly quick and cleaning up messes has become a lot easier. I also didn't even think about it, but I'm sure it makes the keys stay visible longer.

Humble, Jan 16, 2016
  6. IcyBC

IcyBC

IcyBC, Jan 16, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  7. IcyBC

Pablo Diaz

Nice cover! I'd never even thought about buying a keyboard cover - but now that I think about it, my little brother once spilled Coke on one of our old laptops and that caused a problem with the volume buttons, maybe that could've been avoided by having one hahah!

I'll make sure to do some research on keyboard covers for my next laptop thanks to this post. Cheers!

Pablo Diaz, Feb 18, 2016
  8. IcyBC

vinaya

I have never used keyboard cover. If you use your laptop for a long time it is natural that the letter prints on keyboard will be erased, This is natural and it does not bother me. The only think I may consider for using keyboard cover is to protect the keyboard from dust.

vinaya, Feb 19, 2016
  9. IcyBC

Jonah_JJ

I think it is absolutely necessary to protect your keyboard. On a laptop when everything is in one unit, I find the keyboard is the first to go with the keys wearing down, dust accumulating, just general wear and tear. I've often had to buy auxiliary keyboards simply to extend the life of my laptops since everything else runs well, but the keyboard just wears out so quickly.

Jonah_JJ, Mar 11, 2016
  10. IcyBC

IcyBC

This is my first ever keyboard cover that I bought, and I don't regret this decision yet! I think it is fantastic to keep it from dust and protect the keys themselves. I like to prolong my keyboard's life this time around.

IcyBC, Mar 12, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  11. IcyBC

Corzhens

A keyboard cover is okay with me but it seems not to click with most in our office. They say that the keyboard cover interferes with their typing efficiency. And that's also my observation although I am a slow typist and I don't type with the touch system. But I'm sure my husband wouldn't appreciate the keyboard cover because he is fast on the keyboard with the touch-system typing. By the way, kayboard cover is good for computer users who are eating while using the computer.

Corzhens, Mar 12, 2016
  12. IcyBC

IcyBC

I don't see how the keyboard cover interferes with typing efficiency since the cover fitted the keyboard like a perfect clone if not better. I just fell a bit strange at first but got used to it very fast. But then again, different folks different strokes.

IcyBC, Mar 12, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  13. IcyBC

Jonah_JJ

This is absolutely true! No matter how careful you thing you're being, everyone multi-tasks these days and it's impossible not to get crumbs on your keyboard. Take off one of these covers and see what's collected there!

Jonah_JJ, Mar 12, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  14. IcyBC

Corzhens

I got a laugh on your comment. There was a time when we did a general cleaning of the house that included the computer table and also the computer. The most dirt we got on the computer table is crumbs. And when I cleaned the keyboard, huh, there was so much crumbs embedded in between the keys. That's why I go for a keyboard cover regarding the eating because most of us computer users eat while working.

Corzhens, Mar 12, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  15. IcyBC

IcyBC

So did you get a keyboard cover? From your comment, I thought you're not keen on having a keyboard cover, so was your husband because it interferes with your typing speed.

I am one of those users that munches when I am working :)

IcyBC, Mar 24, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  16. IcyBC

IBMPC8088

I can type on it but it always felt really funny to me. I have an emergency "outdoor keyboard" (it's a waterproof keyboard that rolls up like a sleeping bag and can roll out and be used anywhere in environments that are not good for keyboards). It eliminates the need for a keyboard cover when having to type in a place where there is more liquid than there should be, but I really dread having to use it.

There's just something about typing on the plastic and not pushing the actual key that seems to bug me. :p I can see how some people may like keyboard covers since they help to protect the lettering from wearing away on some keyboards too, but it was never for me.

IBMPC8088, Mar 24, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  17. IcyBC

IcyBC

@IBMPC8088 My keyboard cover is so thin, and it is silicon so it wasn't bad on the feel for my fingers. I got use to it very quick, or maybe my mind didn't make a big deal out of the idea that there is something on top of the keyboard, lol..You know, how sometimes our mind can get us hooked on something kind of things :) I think this is one of my smartest purchases as far as accessory for laptop go.

IcyBC, Mar 25, 2016
  18. IcyBC

Corzhens

Pardon me for not being clear about my previous comment. What I meant was I would go for a keyboard cover in relation to eating because it protects the keyboard. Honestly, I have tried it but I am not comfortable. In fact, it is still in my office drawer, waiting to be used. But when I eat, sometimes I think that the keyboard cover is important as protection so sometimes I place the cover when I am eating.

Corzhens, Mar 26, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  19. IcyBC

IcyBC

@Corzhens I see! You are good to remember to put on the keyboard cover when you eat! I would be a basket case in that situation and would even be too lazy to do it :)

IcyBC, Mar 26, 2016
  20. IcyBC

rz3300

Those kinds of things always feel a little weird at first and just take some time getting used to. I am all for them though, because I have had several machines break down from stupid stuff that easily could have prevented by these types of measures like the extra covers and the cases. They are always a good investment for me, or anyone prone to accidents.

rz3300, Mar 26, 2016
Ask a Question