Final Solution to remove the Fan noise

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by bertfelin, Sep 18, 2008.

1. bertfelin

bertfelin

after the fan noise of my one getting worse and worse, i decided to disassemble my little toy to find out what's the source that casue this damn annoying noise. now i get one solution to remove the noise, hope this can help all the one owners.

as i open the case and i find out the noise were came from the poorly designed fan blades that knocks a little bit on the heat sink.
    so what i was i pressed these 4 points a bit deeper (approx 0.5mm-1mm) down so the blades will no longer made contacts with the heat sink and the noise are gone. it is that easy!!!!

:D :D :D Folks, please see pic for details

bertfelin, Sep 18, 2008
  2. bertfelin

Daijoubu

Re: Final Solution to remove the Fan noise @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Gonna try this right now, I've read somewhere else that people have had such problem with other laptop as well

Daijoubu, Sep 18, 2008
  3. bertfelin

onlineaddy

So, you pushed down on the (aluminum?) fan casing where the green arrows are pointed?

onlineaddy, Sep 18, 2008
  4. bertfelin

bertfelin

in my case, yes.

bertfelin, Sep 18, 2008
  5. bertfelin

qball

does not work for me..
    The fan does not hit it casing, the problem is that it vibrates.. touching the metal with the tip of a pen is sufficient to almost remove the noise.. (yeah had it running while taken appart..

I tried placing rubber to accomplish this, but that failed...

Q

qball, Sep 19, 2008
  6. bertfelin

Daijoubu

Yeah same thing for me, I also noticed the vibrations. Perhaps soldering the 2 pieces togheter may work?

Daijoubu, Sep 19, 2008
  7. bertfelin

qball

I tried it by placing some rubber in the "opening" (a small pilar). This did not help.

qball, Sep 20, 2008
  8. bertfelin

ccwh

It doesn't work for me too.
    Better luck next time ? :?:

ccwh, Sep 26, 2008
  9. bertfelin

bertfelin

what i did today is i take apart of them the fan and the heatsink then reattach them together and i did press them more firmly together and i also did spray some WD-40 inside the fan which further more reduced the noise.

bertfelin, Sep 27, 2008
  10. bertfelin

AAOfan1

Just wanted to say that manipulating the fan in the housing/heatsink worked for me.

My Acer was extremely quiet until just yesterday when the loud whirr of the fan started to dominate the airflow sound. It was clearly a physical issue with the case resonating the sound and really amplifying it. I opened up the Acer, removed the fan and just tried to bend the metal on top so the fan looked level and there was clearance on the top and bottom. The fan is placed off center so I just kept moving it a little here and there until I thought it looked good. I also shot a small amount of WD40 for good measure, but since the mechanism is magnetic levetation, I don't know if that did any good. And there are probably better lubricants suited to high temp situations.

Here's my theory on how this noise happened, at least on my Acer: The housing for the fan is a very flimsy aluminum. It bends very easily. That round circle under the Acer is where the fan sits, inverted. There is a tiny piece of foam to try and keep the fan off the plastic base. Everything is crammed so tight in there and there is some flex in the plastic, so if you put pressure on that spot it seems to me it would be very easy to bend the fan mounting and cause it to rub against the edges.

I'm very happy with the results. The constant airflow sound never bothered me, and now I have only a small hum behind the whoosh of air. The software solutions to this issue made me nervous. The constant fan seemed to keep the chip at 50C or less and the software was letting it get 20 deg warmer before kicking in a still noisy fan.

Thanks to http://www.dalekeller.net/Other/Compute ... sembly.pdf for the very easy to follow instructions and to bertfelin for this thread which encouraged me to take a crack at fixing this myself rather than sending it away for service. Maybe I'm ready for the touch screen mod!

AAOfan1, Feb 5, 2009
  11. bertfelin

GvidoR

I am very interested in this mod.
    How do you push the fan down ? (4 points !? :roll: )
    Could you please re-upload the photo?
    Regards,
    GvidoR

GvidoR, Feb 7, 2009
  12. bertfelin

bailout

I am interested in this too. I Have an aao with a noisy fan and think it must be something slightly wrong in the construction rather than so many faulty fans.

I assume the '4 points' mentioned in the op are the 4 tabs underneath the cooling assembly shown in the photos in this post.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=5533&start=60#p69301

I haven't taken mine apart yet but from those photos it looks like there are no screws actually fixing the fan in the alu casing. If it is in effect loose then slight fault in the assembly could leave it loose enough to vibrate. I don't know how well those tabs would take being bent up to remove the fan and then rebent again. Perhaps some sort of tape or cushioning could be put round the fan body inside the alu casing?

bailout, Feb 9, 2009
  13. bertfelin

AAOfan1

If you want to pull the fan out to lube the axel then you have to bend those tabs back to separate the aluminum case as the fan is not screwed onto the aluminum but must be glued or something. Pulling up the label reveals the circuit board that the power leads that are attached to it.

I did not separate the blower/aluminum heatsink assembly. My issue appeared to be that the lable side of the fan had been pushed in slightly (the label side of the fan faces downward in the case). I took a percision screwdriver and bend the aluminum slowly out again. It bends very easily with just a little pressure. I did little nudges upward, working my way around clockwise, eyeballing the fan through the opening to see if it was level and if there was clearance all around.

Getting inside the Aspire is quick and painless. I plan on taking another trip inside to see if I can adjust it further, but I'm happy that the big ugly whirr is gone and now I have only a slight one. I'm hoping some modder will find a replacement for this whole flimsy thing or find a fan that will run quietly in the case.

(When I dissassembled the computer the first time, the top cover under the keyboard was missing the screw that would have been directly above the fan assembly. Quality control?)

AAOfan1, Feb 9, 2009
Ask a Question