Fedora 12 release comments

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sjs50613, Nov 17, 2009.

1. sjs50613

sjs50613

F12 was released today. I'm interested in hearing others' experiences, tips, etc.

sjs50613, Nov 17, 2009
  2. sjs50613

sjs50613

I just finished a dual boot F12 XFCE / XP installation. Some initial observations:
    - I had trouble getting a usb flash drive to take the Live .iso. I finally reverted to burning the .iso onto a CD and doing the installation from an external usb optical drive with no problems.
    - I get an Error shortly after start up: "A crash in package kernal has been detected." This may possibly be related to a multiple attempt at the dual boot install. I intend to reformat my entire drive, reinstall XP, then re-do the dual boot. I'm interested in hearing if others are seeing this.
    - I'm unable to get the wireless to see my network and connect. It was automatically found with F11.
    - Touchpad double-tap doesn't work. I expected this to be integral to F12 but guess I'll need to install the Synaptics driver. I think this also was in the base install of F11 but might be mistaken on that.
    - Audio is not working. Also worked with F11 install.

I saw the same issues with the Live Gnome version before the dual-boot reinstall.

Any comments/thoughts? Am I doing something wrong?

Steve

sjs50613, Nov 18, 2009
  3. sjs50613

sjs50613

Wireless fixed. Per F12 documentation section 7.6 NetworkManager, Network Manager is not enabled by default and has to be turned on. After a restart F12 automatically saw my wireless network.
    Other issues still in progress...

sjs50613, Nov 18, 2009
  4. sjs50613

RockDoctor

If right-clicking on the little speaker icon in the notification area and selecting Sound Preferences doesn't let you fix your audio problems, open a terminal window and type
    Code:
    alsamixer -c 0
    Then max out the volume on Master, PCM, and Beep (on my desktop PC, I've also got Front maxed out). Works for me on my desktop PC, but has to be reset every time I reboot.

RockDoctor, Nov 19, 2009
  5. sjs50613

poesje

your volume configuration can be save by
    Code:
    alsactl store
    so you don't have to be reset every time.

poesje, Nov 19, 2009
  6. sjs50613

sjs50613

There is no speaker icon on my desktop anywhere.
    The kernel crash error went away after doing a system update.

sjs50613, Nov 19, 2009
  7. sjs50613

finnbakk

I have a very positive experience using Fedora 11 LXDE spin on my AAO 110. Is there a F12 LXDE spin available?
    NB! I have seen a news measage: it is withdrawn due to some errors.

finnbakk, Nov 19, 2009
  8. sjs50613

SaintStewart

*Disclaimer* I've been an avid user of Ubuntu.

Now, onward...

With that disclaimer, I have to admit - I'm switching to Fedora. I'm running an Aspire One ZG5 (1.5GB, 160GB), and after getting it I dumped XP for Ubuntu, as I was (am?) a big fan. I would every once in a while toy around with other distros to see how they were, but none ran as well on my AAO. So, as par for the course, I tried FC12 yesterday (after Moblin 2.1), and I liked what I saw. It was fast, stable, and I found instructions on how to get it to do everything I wanted to. Flash, MP3, etc. Works great. Looks good, and oddly, it feels more stable and professional than Ubuntu ever has for me. So for now (barring any future problems), Fedora has a new user.

Getting things working went easily, I found the documentation online by Googling around (I hadn't really dabbled in RPM based distros before, just DEB), and got Flash, MP3, etc working. Wifi was detected out of the box, as was everything else. I have had literally no problems with FC12 on this thing. This is a first for me, with any LInux distro, ever.

Oh, well, there is one thing. I had no problem once it was installed, but getting it on my flash drives was another thing. I almost gave up (glad I didn't). For some reason UNetbootin wouldn't work with the ISO correctly. I tried it with three different flashdrives I have and each one would start to boot, get halfway through and say that the installer media was corrupt. So after some looking around, I found the Fedora Live-USB Creator and used it. It works. No problem. Was all smooth sailing after that with the install.

Anyhow, long winded, sorry. That's my take on FC12 so far.

SaintStewart, Nov 19, 2009
  9. sjs50613

alyy

- The installation (F12-live-xfce) went fine for me, just remember to make /boot partition no smaller than 300 MB.
    - Sound, headphone socket, webcam, both SD card readers, keyboard Fn commands work for me.
    - For touchpad tapping-scrolling, just see : http://linuxsoftwareblog.com/blog/?p=238
    - Suspend to RAM works, but no success in hibernation - seems to hibernate and shutdown but does not log in properly, you're stuck with a black screen with blinking white dash upper left side most of the times.
    - Other than that, I loved it =)

alyy, Nov 20, 2009
  10. sjs50613

Shad0wguy

I tried installing it on my desktop computer, but my wireless didn't work and i can't run compiz cause it says my graphics card doesnt support 3d. I am somewhat of a linux noob, so it may be an easy fix for a more experienced linux user.

Shad0wguy, Nov 20, 2009
  11. sjs50613

vananick

Hi guys, i am an ubuntu user for about two, two and a half years now. I think it's the best distro and helped me get into the linux world. It's the easiest big distro out there. But since 9.04 i had big problems with kernel panics, kernel crashes and crappy wireless function. I just installed fedora 12 and everything is working perfectly on my aao a150. It's slower but ... The thing is that i want to auto login and i don't know how. Other than that of course a good and stable distro. Thanks

vananick, Nov 20, 2009
  12. sjs50613

RockDoctor

Haven't tried it, but perhaps http://digitizor.com/2009/01/29/how-to-enable-automatic-login-in-fedora-10/ will help

RockDoctor, Nov 21, 2009
  13. sjs50613

vananick

Thanks rockdoctor. I did it and it works fine. The thing is now that wicd is not working so i have to type my password for the keyring manager. Wicd says it cannot connect to d-bus ... I'm trying to fix that now.

vananick, Nov 25, 2009
  14. sjs50613

SlCKB0Y

I'm a long time Ubuntu user and i've tried many versions of many different distros on the One.

I've just installed Fedora 12 XFCE and all I can say is WOW!

It's fast to boot and snappy to use. ALL hardware was supported for me. The only things I had to do very enable tap to click and setup some of the powersaving stuff.

Even the Wifi button which has never been able to re-enable wifi (always needed a reboot to turn back on) under other types of linux before is now working.

*Finally* something I can call a true Win XP replacement for this little machine. My only issue is to try and get flash videos to be a little snappier.

SlCKB0Y, Dec 19, 2009
  15. sjs50613

RockDoctor

Welcome to Fedoraland.

And a big thank you for all the work you did making the Ubuntu kernel more AA1-friendly :!:

RockDoctor, Dec 19, 2009
  16. sjs50613

SlCKB0Y

Thanks Doctor! :)

I've been working as a linux systems admin for a web hosting company for the past 7 months so i've been very busy. But I guess it works out well as most of our servers are centos so by using using fedora i can learn the redhat way of doing things.

I've been extremely anti rpm in the past but things seem better now.

As I side note I haven't used redhat since 6.2 and that was about 10 years ago!!! :)

SlCKB0Y, Dec 20, 2009
  17. sjs50613

finnbakk

Great to see you here, Sickboy :)
    I have used your AA1 kernel for several Ubuntu derivates on my AA1 110.
    Is it possible for you to make a rpm package of your special kernel?

finnbakk, Dec 22, 2009
  18. sjs50613

bailout

Sounds like fedora 12 is working well on the aao. I did try a previous fedora, maybe 10, but then went to ubuntu 9.04. I have just tried installing karmic on my aao zg5 (8.9" hard drive) and I am having problems with the screen dpi settings being wrong. Seeing the reports here of fedora I am tempted to try it instead.

One thing I do like about ubuntu now is that is easy to set up an encrypted home during install. Is this possible with fedora? I would want to install it similarly to ubuntu on just one partition and just have the encrypted home directory within that rather than have multiple partitions.

Also I am not a fan of xfce or gnome. What is fedora's kde like? Or I see that the lxde spin has more downloads than xfce. Has anyone tried the lxde spin on the aao?

bailout, Dec 23, 2009
  19. sjs50613

RockDoctor

I'm running the F12 LXDE spin on my AOA150. I like it. Definitely lighter on resources and hard drive space (and convenience features!) than GNOME. Not sure how XFCE compares to GNOME these days; maybe I'll give it a shot.

RockDoctor, Dec 24, 2009
  20. sjs50613

SlCKB0Y

I made one back in the fedora 10 days, but didnt see improved boot times to the extent as my ubuntu kernels (maybe only 3-4 seconds faster. I may very well try again with fedora 12 when i get a chance.

If i do ill make a post regarding it. :D

SlCKB0Y, Dec 27, 2009
Ask a Question