Fedora 10 , Should I , Shouldn't I ?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by FireSoul, Nov 26, 2008.

1. FireSoul

RockDoctor

Alternatives with audio and video support: kopete

RockDoctor, Jan 18, 2009
  2. FireSoul

petsoukos

Oh, I forgot to reply about my errors. I started from scratch and found the problem... I skipped a step.. :)

Now I have all sorts of problems...like problematic audio...

Audio Problem:
    I hear a noise/heeeeshhhh sound while booting...then the Start-up sound plays with pops and noise and not continuous.. it suddenly stops half-way, at the begging.... etc. random stops... The Volume indicator on the task manager is always at 0% clicking it shows up a little window with a "Mixer" button. Clicking ti, it opens the HDA Intel window. With three settings. Front, PCM and Mic Boost. All are at 100%. If I mess with the Mic Boost I hear the same noise/heeeeshhhh for couple of second.

Camera:
    Where is it? How can I access it?

Mic:
    I need an app to test it out! Help I'm lost here

Other things I don't know how to do.. is installing software and placing shortcuts on the Desktop. I would like Firefox 3 on the desktop that I have installed/extracted in /usr/lib/firefox3/firefox/ with the correct Icon. Is firefox a non-KDE application? Coz the font size on the menus and buttons aren't the same with the rest. I don't know if it has to do with KDE non-KDE....

Good News:
    Some stuff worked out of the box like Wifi, Wired Net, USBs... I don't know about the card readers coz I don't have any cards right now.. I guess it works.

Since I'm fairly new to all this... and I want to know a lot more about these operating systems... Any help from you guys would be much appreciated.

petsoukos, Jan 18, 2009
  3. FireSoul

jknights

I have installed Fedora10 on my AAO 120GB hard disk, 1.5GB RAM.

Everything works well and the only real fiddle was to get the media codec installed and that the WLAN drivers were OK but didnt support all wirless encryption modes so I am less well protected than I would like. I have to use WEP 64bit ratehr than WPA2 or WEP 128bit.
    No big shakes but a slight pain.

jknights, Feb 2, 2009
  4. FireSoul

jcm

I've got Fedora 10 xfce installed, and the Network Manager works really well now with WPA encryption since I stopped some services running, especially Bluetooth.

VLC is the media player of choice, but I also discovered the newish Gnome Mplayer, along with the Gstreamer/ing plugins, and this particular media player works with just about everything that you throw at it, like mp4, etc, but it can be a bit flaky at times.

jcm, Feb 3, 2009
  5. FireSoul

Dave in Eugene

A lot of folks have trouble with the Atheros card and/or the Eth on the various nuxi, and as good and seemingly common the AAO hardware is, it shouldn't be so.

I fiddled with Ubuntu for a while and it has some good things going for it and has quite a following in the circles I run with, but a person gets a bit tired of fixing the broken networking after almost every change or update. :twisted:

Tonight I wiped the Ubuntu install and replaced it with Fedora 10 and I don't think I'll be looking back. The "Live CD" run needed a service started in the system admin GUI to get the Ath up, and in the install from the first boot it was running OOB.

It's still Linux so a lot of work needs to be done to get it perfect or nearly so, but to have functioning networking on a "Netbook" is 90% of the battle and hopefully with this install it'll stick for me. Tonight I installed the system and did some tweaking on the appearance settings to make things fit the screen better, installed some packages, updated some others, haven't broken anything yet, and I haven't touched the CLI. We'll see.

Should have followed my instincts. A few years back I put Core 6 on an old desktop PC I used as a file share store on the network, and it went smooth enough (except for the initial 4+ Gig DL at DSL speed). I definitely like the new Live CD approach to Linux distribution - get a working system on ~700 MB then just download the extras you need/want and leave the rest on the internet.

Dave in Eugene, Feb 9, 2009
Ask a Question