Fedora 10 , Should I , Shouldn't I ?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by FireSoul, Nov 26, 2008.

1. FireSoul

FireSoul

FireSoul, Nov 30, 2008
  2. FireSoul

RockDoctor

[quote="jhedrotten"
    because linpus is so stripped to achieve fast boot times and etc. though the frame work and some fedora-specific commands work, linpus is, after all, a different distro.

i am downloading this now for my desktop though. Is this the correct one: Fedora 10 x86_64 Live?
    [/quote]
    I don't think you want the 64-bit version; go for F10-i686-Live.iso

RockDoctor, Nov 30, 2008
  3. FireSoul

jhedrotten

whoa i think i have downloaded the amd version by mistake as well, it is the Fedora 10 x86_64 Live, right? OMG. :D

if i am going to install it to a Pentium 4, which should be the the correct one, the Fedora 10 i686 Live, perhaps? thanks.

jhedrotten, Nov 30, 2008
  4. FireSoul

RockDoctor

I'm using the i686 version on both my ancient 1.8GHz P4 desktop and my AA1

RockDoctor, Nov 30, 2008
  5. FireSoul

jhedrotten

whoa just what i thought. thanks. im at work right now so might as well re-download it when i get home. i was in such a hurry that i didn't paid any attention on which torrent i chose. :D just found out now when i double checked at the fedora project site that the first option under torrent is indeed the Fedora 10 x86_64 Live. hahaha. any help on finding codecs easily as it seems to be the only problem with fedora distros? :D

jhedrotten, Nov 30, 2008
  6. FireSoul

RockDoctor

rpmfusion or the mplayer website

RockDoctor, Nov 30, 2008
  7. FireSoul

FireSoul

FireSoul, Nov 30, 2008
  8. FireSoul

jhedrotten

whoa you sure has a lot of resources up your sleeves. lol :D

btw, since F10 has the new kernel out of the box, is the wifi led working? :D

jhedrotten, Nov 30, 2008
  9. FireSoul

FireSoul

-_- ppl read the previous replays

WIFI IS WORKING OUT OF THE BOX BUT NOT THE LED

FireSoul, Nov 30, 2008
  10. FireSoul

jhedrotten

yeah but im just wondering how is doesn't when it has the new kernel out of the box, and the fix for that issue on both mandriva and ubuntu is to have the new kernel.

just wanted to have the led working, i know it is not that necessary and a woking wifi is much more important as opposed to a working led, but im just oc i think. hahaha lol :D

jhedrotten, Nov 30, 2008
  11. FireSoul

RockDoctor

You're wrong about the fix - search the forum

RockDoctor, Nov 30, 2008
  12. FireSoul

kaffeboy

Dear friends? Does anyone know of a full blown Fedore optimized for the AAO.

When I say full blown, I mean that some of the most used applications are already installed and tweaked towards the use of the AAO. For example...Skype, Mplayer, Thunderbird, Songbird, etc? Also it would be awesome if the optimization for SSD drives would be enabled. If it doesn´t exist, someone should do it...build a AAO molded Fedora 10.

I hope I get my AAO tomorrow. =D

kaffeboy, Dec 1, 2008
  13. FireSoul

jhedrotten

well fedora10 is great for the AAO. Just do some tweaking and it should be molded. Otherwise, just stay with the pre-installed Linpus Lite. It is based on Fedora 8 and everything works out of the box.

jhedrotten, Dec 2, 2008
  14. FireSoul

FireSoul

does any one with modded AAO with 1.8 disk .... Installed Fedora 10 ?? ( just having concerns about the booting time )

FireSoul, Dec 4, 2008
  15. FireSoul

jcm

I've tried Fedora 10 XFCE Live CD booting from a USB stick, and was impressed. I'm going to hold off installing it for a few months yet. A good guide to installing Fedora 10 XFCE and tweaking it afterwards can be found at:-

http://jorge.ulver.no/2008/11/10/fedora ... spire-one/

jcm, Dec 9, 2008
  16. FireSoul

petsoukos

I'm fairly new to the Linux OS. I've done a lot of research on this forum. I have the AAO 8GB SSD with 512MB of RAM. I'm still using the Linpus Lite version or distro or what ever you call it.. :p I want to go with the new F10 with the KDE environment, is this possible?

A few more questions:
    Which ISO file should I download? The -> i686/F10-i686-Live.iso ???
    Will the AAO handle the KDE Desktop? (I just don't like the look of XFCE right now...I don't know if there are "themes" for that environment...)

petsoukos, Jan 17, 2009
  17. FireSoul

RockDoctor

If you want KDE, then here's the iso for you:
    http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/10/Live/i686/F10-i686-Live-KDE.iso
    There are plenty of folks running the KDE desktop on their AA1s (I'm not one of them). If you search the forum no doubt you'll come across some of them. As for XFCE, yes, there are additional themes available, and they should be on your SSD just waiting for you to try them out.

RockDoctor, Jan 17, 2009
  18. FireSoul

petsoukos

I've picked a theme but it doesn't change anything.... also there aren't any OK or Cancel buttons... maybe they are down below off-screen... :(
    I hope with the F10 and KDE it will run and look better.... maybe not the run part but the looks part will... ;)

I'm reading this guide for the setup process...but it assumes that you are in a Linux environment and something about mounting the ISO and copy the files on to the USB stick... I'm downloading on my Windows machine... is it the same process? I mean should I mount the ISO on a virtual drive and simply copy the files on to the Stick? Will it be bootable?

EDIT: After following the guide I get this error on reboot...
    Could not detect stabilization, waiting 10 seconds.
    Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while…
    Found volume group VolGroup00 using metadata type lvm2
    1 logical volume(s) in volume group VolGroup00 now active
    mount: error mounting /dev/root on /sysroot as ext3: Invalid argument

petsoukos, Jan 18, 2009
  19. FireSoul

RockDoctor

Search the Fedora Project website (fedoraproject.org) for info on how to create a bootable USB stick from Windows. Copying the iso file won't do it. I think (but I haven't tried it to be sure) you can burn the iso to a CD, boot it, and create the live cd from that point.
    As for your errors - The failure to detect stabilization error can be safely ignored - it will not affect your ability to boot or run Fedora. As for the failure to mount /dev/root on /syroot error, I got a similar error on my desktop PC during a recent reinstall. It comes from not having a proper initrd.img file. I just booted using an existing kernel and regenerated the initrd file

RockDoctor, Jan 18, 2009
  20. FireSoul

bfurlani

Hi. I was wandering if you know how to install the “ACER One Messenger” in Fedora 10. It is an excellent software, the best that I know for Linux, the only with simultaneous audio/video support. If not, do you know any alternatives with simultaneous audio/video support? Thanks

bfurlani, Jan 18, 2009
Ask a Question