Fedora 10 headphones don't automute speakers

Discussion in 'Linux' started by noetic, Mar 9, 2009.

1. noetic

noetic

Hi all, my first post. Thanks for all the great info. I've learned a lot just from reading and lurking here.

I'm using Fedora 10 xfce spin and, overall, I'm loving the experience (I'm a total linux noob, but getting better everyday). I've hit a snag that I can't seem to find an answer for around the net. I thought maybe 1 or 2 of you might have gone through the same.

When I plug in headphones to the jack, the internal speakers do not automute; sound comes out both the speakers and the headphones. Actually, I can't seem to find a control panel with independent volume control of speakers and headphone out. So, though I'd really like to enable automute, I'd settle for manually muting the speakers without affecting the headphone volume.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

noetic, Mar 9, 2009
  2. noetic

noetic

Nobody else has this problem? If you didn't do any special audio-related configuration and your speakers just automute when you insert the headphones, please let me know also.

Thanks

noetic, Mar 13, 2009
  3. noetic

watermelon

I remember having that problem. Basically, if I recall, the alsamixer treated the headphones jack and the speakers as two different output streams. I just ended up muting the speakers on the whole as I don't really use the speakers much anyway. I'd be curious if there's a solution as well.

watermelon, Mar 15, 2009
  4. noetic

pmorris

I do! In fact I think there was quite a lot of discussion on some forums about this: In XFCE I have no automute, nor do I have any system sounds at all (apart from the hardware 'beep').
    Skype works, but only with external headset - the internal mic is dead.
    Quod Libet plays back fine.
    Is this something to do with Pulse Audio, and something that cab be 'fixed' by tweaking settings?

As an aside, I recently installed Fedora 10 on an ASUS laptop and had exactly the same problems with sound. I really want to use Fedora, I really don't want to go back to the mind-numbing boredom of Win Vista/XP, but it really should work, shouldn't it? I have to say my partner has an AA1 too but with XP, and everything works fine.
    Sorry... Help!

pmorris, Mar 18, 2009
  5. noetic

donec

For Mandriva the fix would be....
    Add the following lines to the file at
    /etc/modprobe.conf

#following line makes internal speakers turn off when the head set is connected.
    options snd-hda-intel model=acer-aspire

Maybe it will work for Fedora also.

donec, Mar 18, 2009
  6. noetic

colonel

have you tried aumix ?

colonel, Mar 19, 2009
  7. noetic

pmorris

Nope Colonel, could you give me a how-to?

pmorris, Mar 19, 2009
  8. noetic

HappyHarry

try this out first, create a file called 'sound' in /etc/modprobe.d so that would be

Code:
    /etc/modprobe.d/sound

and in that file paste this
    Code:

then reboot and try that out. if that doesn't work post back :)

phil

HappyHarry, Mar 19, 2009
  9. noetic

noetic

Everyone, thanks so much for the helpful and empathetic replies. I'll try out the suggestions and post back with the results.

noetic, Mar 19, 2009
  10. noetic

noetic

OK, here's my experience trying out the suggestions. First, tried out donec's Mandriva trick:

Added the following line to /etc/modprobe.conf (which previously existed but was initially blank):

Code:
    Reboot and test...

The result: this rendered sound playback from speakers and headphones barely audible at even the max volume settings.

Next, I removed all text from /etc/modprobe.conf and attempted HappyHarry's suggestion. I had already created a /etc/modprobe.d/sound file during the initial install (following the jorge.fbarr.net guide), and it read as follows:

Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=acer
    I edited the file to append "-aspire" to the single line to read:

Code:
    Incidentally, not sure if it was updated since my original installation or previous to it, but the jorge.fbarr.net guide has been edited to include "model=acer-aspire" as a fix for the headphone automute problem, seconding HappyHarry's advice. So this edit apparently works for multiple users; I'm very optimistic!

Reboot and test...

No change. The sound is still barely audible.

I've since removed "-aspire" from the end of /etc/modprobe.d/sound and reboot. Now, I have normal sound playback performance, but still no automute.

I tried aumix as per colonel's suggestion, but it doesn't seem to support separate control of headphone and speaker output. Same story with ALSA Mixer (watermelon's suggestion)...there's only one output to edit (actually there are two, L and R, but they both operate on headphones and speakers simultaneously).

pmorris, I feel your pain. I'm a real green Linux noob, and I'm having a hell of a time getting this machine to do some seemingly basic stuff, but this tinkering is kind of fun, and XP is not palatable to me. I was forced to run XP at my last job; it's ridiculously unstable and slow. By contrast, Fedora is fast, not 8 years old, and rarely requires reboots for basic troubleshooting.

So...conclusions:
    I tried a few tactics that have worked for other Aspire One Linux users but unfortunately not for me.
    Both the /etc/modprobe.conf and the /etc/modprobe.d/sound files have influence on sound playback.

Thanks again to everyone. If you have any more suggestions, I would be greatly appreciative.

noetic, Mar 20, 2009
  11. noetic

HappyHarry

well my suggestion works on my aspire one 150 with fedora10 xfce, the only other thing i have done is install some other reccomended fixes for pulseaudio, try this

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa

and replace the line

Code:
    load-module module-hal-detect 

with

Code:
    load-module module-hal-detect tsched=0

then run

Code:
    sudo yum install pulseaudio-module-gconf pavucontrol pulseaudio pavumeter padevchooser paprefs alsa-plugins-pulseaudio xmms-pulse gstreamer-plugins-pulse pulseaudio-core-libs pulseaudio-esound-compat pulseaudio-libs pulseaudio-libs-glib2 pulseaudio-libs-zeroconf pulseaudio-module-x11 pulseaudio-module-zeroconf pulseaudio-utils xine-lib-pulseaudio paman

then when that is finished run

Code:
    pulseaudio -k

then reboot and test the sound

phil

HappyHarry, Mar 20, 2009
  12. noetic

pmorris

Thanks Phil, the amendment to modprobe.conf did make the headphone switch work and mute approriately.
    The pulse fixes seemed to work OK for Quod Libet etc. but I'm having some trouble persuading Skype to get on with them... thanks anyway, I'll see how I get on!
    Paul

pmorris, Mar 23, 2009
Ask a Question