Fan Problems

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by taekwone, Jul 20, 2008.

1. taekwone

Raido

If I was a netbook and someone loaded XP on me, I'd be screaming in agony as well.

Seriously though, under Linux people have figured out how to underclock the cpu, should be possible to do that in Windows as well (although I'd still say the best XP experience on a netbook is to uninstall it and put in something more appropriate.)

Regards, R

Raido, Jul 27, 2008
  2. taekwone

desperator

True for Vista :) But the Atom is running XP really fast and 512 MB RAM are just fine for me. I have to work with MS Office's Word and Endnote which is for professional reasons. If it were not for the noise things would be fine. Underclocking tools I know about do not work with the AA1 :-(

desperator, Jul 28, 2008
  3. taekwone

Spire

opps ... seems like:

Units with Samsung SSD = Noisy fan
    with Intel SSD = Silence fan

Spire, Jul 28, 2008
  4. taekwone

desperator

Let us check this hypothesis. True, I have a samsung ssd. And my unit is white with a 2200 battery. So what we have in common is the ssd. Anybody else who has an opinion on this?

desperator, Jul 28, 2008
  5. taekwone

Davidcowling

arent the samsung ssds superior to the intel ones????????

Davidcowling, Jul 28, 2008
  6. taekwone

desperator

Shure, but maybe running more hot? Or, more probable, acer chose a different fan model? Would be ugly because new models all come with Samsung SSD - and maybe this new lousy fan.

desperator, Jul 28, 2008
  7. taekwone

Strawberry Field

I have Samsung SSD and noisy fan as well. Tried to take off the fan, but the system has shut down in 30 seconds without fan. Notebook Hardware Controller detected the CPU Temp was upto 58`C with FURIOUS fan running while watching divx movie.

Strawberry Field, Jul 28, 2008
  8. taekwone

desperator

Try to shortcut the tacho signal cable (not the plus voltage, of course) with fan ground cable(s) and boot again. This works for some fan watchdogs. Will it still switch off?
    The CPU can stand 100 degrees celsius according to spec. We will see how hot it gets. I ve been lokking to hd videos, got some 55% proc use and the temp was constant at 45 degrees. So there is room for fanless operation within normal limits, at least...

desperator, Jul 28, 2008
  9. taekwone

casainho

Hello :)

I had others portables computers and this AA1 have a very noise fan, at least to me :-(

I have also one Asus eee pc 701 which have a noisy fan also, at least for my taste. The fan of my AA1 is definitely more noisy than the fan of my Asus eee pc 701.

I must find a solution, I can't work with this noise :-( :-( more than my desktop computer at work :-(

casainho, Jul 29, 2008
  10. taekwone

Davidcowling

what about the hdd models??? are these any different in terms of sound? anyone?

Davidcowling, Jul 30, 2008
  11. taekwone

daymz

I have the Samsung SSD model (Canada, A110-1955). The fan is not loud, except on some occasions for a few seconds, never more than that.

daymz, Jul 30, 2008
  12. taekwone

desperator

OK so I would think that one might be lucky ang get a quiet one or unlucky (as I was and sone others). I cannot play with my unit any more, cannot open it, so all I can do is hope that someone who is able to do so comes up with a fanless /fan throttle mod. Too bad.

desperator, Jul 30, 2008
  13. taekwone

Wicked

8gb samsung ssd, gets noisy as well.
    High pitched noise, very annoying.

It's very quiet at first but as soon as it warms up the fan spins faster and makes that very annoying noise.

I wouldn't even have considered buying it if I had known about the noisy fan. I bought it because most reviews said it was very silent.

Wicked, Aug 2, 2008
  14. taekwone

duane

More fan info. I have an Intel SSD for what it is worth, and have made no hardware additions or modifications to the device. I could not understand why folks were complaining about the fan noise as it seemed really unobtrusive to me. I updated this morning which installed four or five updates including one to the OS, and now I have fan noise. It is not the rushing of the air, but a constant-pitched whine that is the problem. It is very loud as the system boots up, but drops off in volume (though still audible) when the screensaver comes on. If the AA1 is in your lap, the sound is naturally muffled, but placed on a hard surface it is quite audible. As others mentioned, this kind of constant pitch (it is not while noise) is fatiguing if you are not listening to music or other sounds that mask it. It seems I remember one of the updates was to something like the power management system. Could this be changing the way in which the fan is being run?

It is really unfortunate as the system is not nearly as pleasant to use now.

Cheers, Duane

duane, Aug 2, 2008
  15. taekwone

desperator

Wicked, I would never have bought it either. Duane, I use WinXP, I never updated, but you are telling a sad story.

desperator, Aug 2, 2008
  16. taekwone

linker3000

I made a 50 mile round trip today to pick up my 8GB/Linux One. For the first 10 minutes it was whisper quiet and I could only hear the fan if I listened closely - then, all of a sudden - buzzzzzzzzz - and the fan is now noisy all the time - even noisier than my Acer Aspire 3500 laptop. This is very disappointing and I now have to decide whether to take the unit back or live with it - and I dread the thought of making the trip only to come home with another One that's just as noisy.

I hope Acer takes note of all the people complaining about the fans and makes arrangements for noisy ones to be exchanged or fixed - can anyone who's been inside the unit say whether replacing the fan would be a simple task?

linker3000, Aug 2, 2008
  17. taekwone

marcus2004

I have a AA1 and the noise isn't a deal breaker for me but it is loud enough that I looked it up and found this thread.

I thought maybe I did something when I updated the ram, but that doesn't appear to be the case judging from this thread.

Mine has a samsung ssd and I loaded ubuntu on it (that was my other guess just ubuntu running the fan at full blast).
    I'll have to keep an eye on this thread for info.

marcus2004, Aug 3, 2008
  18. taekwone

Strawberry Field

Tested with the signal-ground connector jump but no luck, it still shut down after 30 Sec~ 1min. And also tried with Toshiba Fan Ass'y from Vaio T150, but the fan sound is pretty loud as much as Sunon Fan Ass'y, which explain it is definitely not the Fan Ass'y problem but BIOS's thermal control issue.

Strawberry Field, Aug 3, 2008
  19. taekwone

htek

Figured I'd post this in here. I love my AA1, my fan is dead silent (it is running though, can feel cold air coming out of the sides). But the opening on the front-bottom side, the 'long' one, gets pretty hot, temp seems to level out within about 5 mins. I haven't done any upgrading or anything (apart from a 4g SDHC card in the left slot), still running normal Linpus with advanced mode enabled. I've got the blue one with Intel SSD and a 2400 battery. Got it from BCC in the Netherlands.

Anyone else having their AA1's heating up? 'cause I'm kinda wondering if it's 'normal'. Also only just installed the latest OS/System updates, so no idea if that makes a difference?

htek, Aug 6, 2008
  20. taekwone

lmf22

I got the Aspire One yesterday, and immediately noticed the loud, high-pitched fan. I have the blue, 512MB memory, 8GB SSD. How do I find out whether it has the Intel or Samsung SSD?

EDIT: I just checked the BIOS, found the SSD's model number, which turned out to be the Intel. In addition, I have BIOS version 3019.
    I think I will take it back to the store tomorrow and get an exchange. Hopefully I will have better luck this time.

lmf22, Aug 12, 2008
Ask a Question