Fan Issues and Solutions for OSX

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by pseudomasochist, Aug 19, 2008.

1. pseudomasochist

pseudomasochist

Lappy warm, fans always running

Anyone else notice this? Under OSX, the A1 seems to always be running warm, and the fans always seem to be at their maximum speed. This doesn't seem to be dependent on CPU load, even when I'm sitting here doing nothing and Menumeters shows 1-2% CPU usage, the fans keep whirring away. SpeedStep doesn't really seem to help, and is itself starting to bug me as it only seems to work about half the time.

Anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this? I know it's not helping my battery life, and it's probably not good for the system either.

pseudomasochist, Aug 19, 2008
  2. pseudomasochist

SbM

Re: Lappy warm, fans always running

It's not at maximum speed on mine. What release did you install (Kalyway? MSI? iATKOS?)

SbM, Aug 19, 2008
  3. pseudomasochist

bingggo

Can you actually monitor fan speed with some OS X utility? That is, is there a utility that's compatible with this hardware?

bingggo, Aug 19, 2008
  4. pseudomasochist

pseudomasochist

I'm using iAtkos v4, 10.5.4, SpeedStep kernel.

I haven't found any utilities that allow you to monitor the temperature or fan speed of Hackbooks, so I've been using the less-scientific method of listening to it in a very quiet room. ;)

I'm wondering if it's at all related to my SpeedStep working only half the time -- It's working now and it doesn't seem to be running as warm, but I can't tell how fast the fan is going since I'm at work and it's a little noisy in here.

I've removed AppleThermal.kext and AppleCPUThermo.kext as some posts on the interweb have suggested that they cause more thermal problems than they solve on Hackintoshes. It hasn't seemed to make any difference either way.

5. pseudomasochist

SbM

So it worked for you, contrary to bingggo (see my topic on installing iATKOS). Can you tell us if you installed it to the SSD?

So have I: the fan spins up and gets louder when I restart the machine, so I've concluded it was not running at full speed while using it.

I kept those two .kexts. Maybe that's where the difference lies.

SbM, Aug 19, 2008
  6. pseudomasochist

pseudomasochist

Nope, I've got the 120gb hard drive Linpus version..

Exact opposite here. Fan is loud, and as soon as I restart the fan quiets right down, gradually speeding up to full speed (or rather, the fullest speed I've been able to hear in my quiet room).

It seems to be working alright now, though. I think there may be some connection between SpeedStep not always working and the fan going crazy -- SpeedStep didn't load up when I noticed the fans were going nuts, but it's loaded up and working fine now. Odd.

7. pseudomasochist

zakfontaine

Hey,
    About the proc speed. Have you guys tried using CoolBook? I have a T61 hackintosh, and I use that for my processor stepping/undervolting/heat monitoring. It's a great little program, however you have to pay 10$ to actually change settings. You still may be able to monitor temps. I'm not sure if it will work with it being the atom proc and not a c2d. I just ordered my acer one 120gb and will be trying to install os x on it later this week. This is a great forum.

zakfontaine, Aug 25, 2008
  8. pseudomasochist

dowhile

Fan Sound.

I know some people experience this while other don't, my One is a loud mothafucka!

The sound is beyond annoying, when I had XP on here I was able to use the AAO Fan control app which worked great

I've tried to follow aRt's directions http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1505&p=16161#p16161, but get lost at the step "also removed all acpi thermal fan control as this is all done by the bios"

has anyone figured out a way to control the fan RPM through OSX or is everyone with a "louder fan" just grin and bearing it for the sake of having a nice little leopard machine?

dowhile, Sep 1, 2008
  9. pseudomasochist

stiopa

Re: Fan Sound.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D mine 2 :D

stiopa, Sep 3, 2008
  10. pseudomasochist

fletch33

my first one was loud but it broke and my replacement model not as loud at all. if it were me i would get a replacement fan rather than mess with the setting and risk overheating it.

the fan is easy to get to and if you had one with the same connector it would be a snap to replace.

edit: i dont know if it is has been mentioned but i use to use smcFanControl on all my mac computers and it worked well. you could give it a shot.

fletch33, Sep 4, 2008
  11. pseudomasochist

macles

Since it's UNIX based i don't see why this little perl line at the end of the post shouldn't work.

macles, Sep 4, 2008
  12. pseudomasochist

SbM

Tried it, didn't work. Anybody got this script to work in Mac OS X?

SbM, Sep 4, 2008
  13. pseudomasochist

fletch33

discuss anything related to the fan here

thanks

fletch33, Sep 10, 2008
  14. pseudomasochist

Mikkehermansson

Hi,
    I have a wonderful setup of my OS X iATKOS now.

BUT!
    In WinXP I can use fan control so the CPUfan only starts when the fan reach 65degrees.. In OSX The fan is allways on, really enoying. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks in advance,

Mikkehermansson, Sep 12, 2008
  15. pseudomasochist

Mikkehermansson

Doesn't anyone know a solution!???

Mikkehermansson, Sep 15, 2008
  16. pseudomasochist

jaigandhi5

bump
    any solutions?

jaigandhi5, Oct 10, 2008
  17. pseudomasochist