external monitor video goes blank

Discussion in 'Linux' started by sjpn, Aug 30, 2009.

1. sjpn

sjpn

Hi,
    I'm on ubuntu jaunty. usuallly, sarvatt's kernel, but when i want to use an external monitor, i use generic 2.6.28-15. I was watching a video with the external monitor as the main monitor and then after about 10 or 15 minutes, it went blank and since i was in full screen, i couldn't get to anything. Things were still running b/c I had sound, but I couldn't quit or get back to the desktop. Any ideas what's going on?
    Thanks,
    Peter

sjpn, Aug 30, 2009
  2. sjpn

Nudnik_de

Hi,
    I wrote a small script to apply the change of monitor output to FN-F5 to allow monitor switching.

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12288&p=85646&hilit=external+monitor#p77888

I'm encountering the same proble as you describe. After a while the external turns black but I can switch back with FN-F5 due to my script... ;-) But it remains black even when I try to switch back... :-(

There is also another post describing this problem:

http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13627&p=85671&hilit=external+monitor#p85671

It seems that it is depending on the Ubuntu version s.o. is running. The root cause might be the X.org version that is running. I haven't upgraded to 9.10 yet. But if s.o. could confirm that this solves the problem...?

Nudnik_de, Sep 1, 2009
  3. sjpn

illafam

i have the same problem..the screen will turn brown/grey/black.. it happens most often while watching youtube or scrolling through a newly loaded web page.. when it happens i can still hear audio.. use ctrl-alt-f1 to goto a text terminal

i forget what ubuntu i am.. 2.6.28-16.. im not sure what log files to even look at

this is making my life bitter man

illafam, Sep 8, 2009
Ask a Question