External HDD Linpus Lite

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Zoot, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Zoot

Zoot

Hi,

I recently bought the Acer Aspire One A150 Linpus Lite. My objective is to:

1. Copy onto it some MPEG files of television programmes
    2. Watch them

The files are on a Seagate Freeagent external HDD. When I plug this in I get an error message saying "failed to mount Freeagent Drive; unknown error". I tried a different type of external drive and got a different error message.

We're off on hols soon and I'd like to take the netbook with me as occasional entertainment. I can't be the first person to try to use an extrernal drive with Linpus, but I've not managed to find a solution on the net. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Regards,

Stephen

Zoot, Jul 6, 2009
  2. Zoot

Zoot

Well I'm making some progress here. Using a compact flash card I can move the files one at a time (they're just over 2 GB) on to the AA1 and I'm very happy with the playback. So that's the second of my objectives met.

I just need to get the files off the Freeagent. I have managed to get the AA1 running Ubuntu 9.04 from a live CD and it then managed to work fine with the Freeagent. Unfortunately I couldn't then find the folder containing the videos that I had already installed in Linpus. I was hoping to use Ubuntu live to dump from the Freeagent then leave Linpus installed until I get back from holiday and choose betwen Linpus, Ubuntu or XP.

Can I use Ubuntu live to populate a folder which is then accessible to Linpus? I'm running out of time and starting to wonder if it would be less stressful to forget the netbook and just take a book. I've got the Nelson Mandela autobiography still to go at, for example.

Zoot, Jul 8, 2009
  3. Zoot

rbil

What file system format is the Freeagent drive using? If it is formatted NTFS, then you'll probably need to install a driver in Linpus to handle NTFS. A search on this forum should assist you in this.

Cheers.

rbil, Jul 8, 2009
Ask a Question