External Hard Drive OK but not appearing in File Manager

Discussion in 'Linux' started by seinecle, Jan 13, 2009.

1. seinecle

seinecle

Hi,

I just bought my AA1 and I try to connect my Western Digital Passport (external drive) to it. It is a FAT32 file system. Once connected, I can't see it in the file manager. But when I use the "Write" application on AA1, and choose to open a document, my external drive appears in the dialog box for opening a file, and I can actually open a file from my external drive.

So what should I do to make my external drive appear in the file manager?

As you guessed I am TOTALLY new to Linux so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

Clement

seinecle, Jan 13, 2009
  2. seinecle

markh

It ought to appear in the left hand side of Thunar (the standard AAO File Manager) with the entries for "my disk" "documents" "downloads" etc, along with any other USB storage devices you use. Do you have those entries? What happens if you use a USB stick, or a card in the card reader?
    There is a preference in Thunar for whether it updates when a device is mounted - you could have a check through and see if you've unticked anything.

markh, Jan 13, 2009
  3. seinecle

jmorales22

I had a similar issue with a flash drive. I knew it was there and recognized because it was in the search file system. But browsing to it didn't happen until I opened thunar as superuser. Just alt+f2 and go sudo thunar.... bet you see it then.

jmorales22, Jan 24, 2009
Ask a Question