External GPU Question

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by chargersrool, Mar 6, 2016.

1. chargersrool

chargersrool

I have a decent laptop - Lenovo Y510p with (2) Nvidia GT750m SLI 16gb ram and an i7 4770k processor.
    Bad part is the PCI slot is hard to access. Would using a usb to pci be a bad idea?
    What can I do to boost the graphics to play star citizen/division? The games play ok-ish on low currently.
    I saw videos on how they plug the video cable into a tv... is there a way I can use my laptops screen instead?
    Appreciate the help as this would probably save me some money rather than buying a whole new laptop.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2016
    chargersrool, Mar 6, 2016
  2. chargersrool

Personablue

I am against the idea of using a usb to pci connector. The USB bandwidth will limit the performance of your external graphics card. You will see little to no improvement as your card will be able to perform its best through a usb cable. But, using a egpu is very much possible if you could connect it with mpci directly.

Personablue, Mar 11, 2016
  3. chargersrool

chargersrool

Thanks Personablue,
    I'm just looking for an easy hookup method since the PCI port is buried in my laptop and hard to access... I'm guessing the hdmi port is just for video and does nothing special. The only other place is the ultrabay that I could connect through, i just cant find the part.
    What do you think?

chargersrool, Mar 11, 2016
Ask a Question