External Fan - Extend the life of your internal fan.

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by hDy, Dec 3, 2009.

1. hDy

hDy

So I've been running World of Warcraft on my Z5 and its handled it pretty well until recently.. The internal cpu fan has seen better days.. I lubed it with 3 in 1 oil only to find that 3 in 1 oil turns to jelly after 2 days.. So the noise continued.. The Bearings in the fan are pretty much shot at this point so I bought a new one on ebay.. From china.. so for 2 weeks I've had to take apart my one and re-lube the dieing fan with 3 in 1 (crappy) oil.

Although tonight I found a nice fix.. I setup my osculating room fan right up against the exhaust for the cpu and noticed that even with world of warcraft running, the cpu was around 55 degrees.. Its usually around 68 degrees, with the internal fan running, so this was a very pleasant surprise! But ofcourse I didn't want a room fan running all day right next to my keyboard.. So i got to thinking of a smaller fan that would do the job..

I took apart a broken Playstation 2 I had sitting around and pulled out the Internal Cooling Fan, soldered the power wires to a usb cable I had laying around and taped it to the side of the machine right over the cpu exhaust. I've now set AA1FanControl to pretty much never turn on the internal fan, and just with this little fan taped to the side my machine maintains under 60 degrees even with a full load. Sure it doesn't look pretty.. but I think even after I replace the internal fan, i will still use this external fan to lighten the load/extend the life of the internal cpu fan.

hDy, Dec 3, 2009
  2. hDy

7dwarfs

In my opinion and experience Sunon is crap.
    Try to adapt a Y.S. Tech fan and always get a fan with ball bearings and nothing else, sleeve bearings suck.

7dwarfs, Dec 3, 2009
Ask a Question