External CDRW/DVDRW drive for AA1

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by jango, Aug 17, 2008.

1. jango

jango

Hi

I want to buy a external CDRW/DVDRW drive for my AA1, can someone tell me what should i buy???

Thanks

jango, Aug 17, 2008
  2. jango

qball

any usb cdrom drive will do.
    Just try to avoid the one apple has for the air. As it requires a higher current from the usb port then the usb standard provides..

qball, Aug 17, 2008
  3. jango

lawnsea

I bought the LG slimline DVDRW drive that is powered by USB. While the bios would recognize it and it spun up, my aspire one wouldn't boot from it. Too bad. I exchanged it for the Sony slimline model powered by an AC adapter and it worked like a charm.

lawnsea, Aug 19, 2008
  4. jango

qball

could be that the acer one isn't capable of delivering the 500mA.
    I never seen a "usb powered" dvd burner before (beside the apple one)

qball, Aug 19, 2008
  5. jango

tdavis80

I am using a generic USB box with a dual layer burner. It works well. The USB box uses wall power, not power from the laptop.

tdavis80, Aug 20, 2008
  6. jango

Sid

Sid, Aug 20, 2008
  7. jango

Negative_Zero

Has anyone tried the Lite-On DX-8A1H-05? I am looking for a slim DVD-RW that will work without a separate power cord to keep my travelling weight low.

I have a LG Super Multi (GSE-E60L) full size, wall powered DVD-RW that works and I can use for home, but I want something so I can watch movies while I am travelling.

lawnsea - I noted you tried the LG slim DVD-RW but it would not boot from it. Was it able to read and burn, but not boot? Maybe the power problem is only during start-up?

Negative_Zero, Aug 26, 2008
  8. jango

cytech

Odd, ive got the same drive, works like a charm..you just need to use both USB cables on the AAO (Normal usb and usb power cable I got both supplied with my drive)

cytech, Aug 27, 2008
  9. jango

Mark83

I'm happy to read this. I ordered the LG drive on monday and read that it wouldn't work yesterday. Now I'm looking forward to get it :lol:

Mark83, Aug 27, 2008
  10. jango

blackjack

I thought this Apricorn EZ Writer LS might be a nice fit with the Aspire One (it's $99 U.S. most stores): :)
    http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail. ... eg&id=1209

You can read the manual there too. Although it's bus-powered and billed as "lower power consumption," it does come with an AC Adapter you can use if the laptop doesn't have sufficient power on its own (or if you want to conserve the laptop's battery, I guess).

blackjack, Aug 27, 2008
  11. jango

radioham

I've got LG SLIM External Super Multi DVD Rewriter , model GSA-50N, USB powered and it works fine.

radioham, Aug 27, 2008
  12. jango

blackjack

The Apricorn one I suggested at least has a $20 mail-in rebate going on at Newegg (fwiw, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... _-27242001). If I try it, I'll report on it here.

Well, I'm a reporter in real life. Might as well report about something fun for a change. :ugeek: :p

blackjack, Aug 28, 2008
  13. jango

Speedstep

I like the

Addonics Pocket Pocket AEPDVRW248UM
    Combo Drive - CD-RW/DVD-ROM - x 8x DVD-ROM - USB

http://www.addonics.com/products/external_cd/pocket_dvd_cdrw.asp

This Pocket Drive can also be used as an internal removable optical drive using the
    optional Console Optical Drive kit consisting of a Console Cradle and a DVD Console Tray

[​IMG]

Speedstep, Aug 28, 2008
  14. jango

rbryan

I have the Apricorn external drive, it works fine without the AC adapter if the computer is on AC. It won't work if the computer is on battery. Haven't actually burned a DVD yet, but will try one and report back.

rbryan, Aug 29, 2008
  15. jango

lawnsea

To be clear, the LG drive worked great once the system booted. What it wouldn't do is boot any CDs or DVDs. I tried multiple varieties, DVDs and CDs, with no luck. The Sony I mentioned works great.

lawnsea, Sep 13, 2008
Ask a Question