Experiences flashing to 3305?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by bgriggs, Oct 20, 2008.

1. bgriggs

bgriggs

I found one guy who got the black screen - Any success stories? Any unexpected problems?

I'm not having issues with my current BIOS, but increased battery life would be nice. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the risk! Thanks in advance.

bgriggs, Oct 20, 2008
  2. bgriggs

Frojd

I flashed mine without any problems. But I've hadn't really noticed any differences compared to 3109 except for the fan-control software not to work (running vista).

Frojd, Oct 21, 2008
  3. bgriggs

nmesisca

flashed just fine, but not with WInflash.Still used the dos mode flash.
    Everything went ok, have not tested the batterylife yet.
    Everything else is ok.

nmesisca, Oct 21, 2008
  4. bgriggs

bgriggs

Ok, thanks folks. I think I'm about ready to give it a try. After some research it seems that macles has the best procedure, so I'll have to locate a USB stick and have at it. I'll let you know how it goes.

bgriggs, Oct 21, 2008
  5. bgriggs

rory

winflash fucked up my aao. wouldnt boot windows, on the screen with the little green bar moving left to right on vista, it would obviously get to a point something was wrong and it turned off
    then i went into safe mode and all fixed

rory, Oct 21, 2008
  6. bgriggs

techiediva

works fine already flashed about 20 units

techiediva, Oct 22, 2008
  7. bgriggs

Mopeto

Just Fine, mine shows on Vista with 50% battery, 1:30 Hrs Left.

Get Usb, Format it, use Unebootin to Make bootable and with freedos, copy 3305 files on the root, restart, [AC Power + 100% Battery], F12, boot from Usb, run 3305.bat, wait, finish, restart, ???, Profit!

XP maybe got a little slow down in the Hard disk [120GB], sometimes just is like i cant read it, maybe is just is now more bloated, Vista partition runs great!.

Mopeto, Oct 22, 2008
  8. bgriggs

jmm1113

jmm1113, Oct 27, 2008
  9. bgriggs

bgriggs

Piece of cake! Thanks for the opinions, folks - that was much easier (and quicker) than I thought it would be. Great procedures,and unetbootn is a GREAT tool! I've used it to put a bootable fedora on my USB drive. Too sweet.

bgriggs, Oct 29, 2008
  10. bgriggs

mzc

Hi,

I changed the BIOS from 3109 to 3305. The first thing that I had problem with was wifi. After a few minutes or hours of use, the wifi just stops, this also happens after coming out of standy.

Right now I've went back to 3304, justing hoping it fixes the issue :(

mzc, Nov 2, 2008
  11. bgriggs

singraham

I flashed mine to get rid of the wifi problems...which it did, along with a driver update.

No problems.

singraham, Nov 2, 2008
  12. bgriggs

nexus15

I killed the bios on it. Now i did everything to a 'T' however i didnt pay attention to what was going on after it said it was writing the blocks i turned my focus back to one of my other computers. I come back to the AAO and notice it is dead. assuming it was just powered off by the process i press the power button and it is defiantly dead bios. That made my pretty upset so i set out to try and get the recovery mode and fix the issue (as i have done on other computers before, but with the AAO it doesnt work (for me at least).

The last guy in the thread here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=5108 claims that Acer may have disabled it however i think thats total crap (why would they?) because it appears to act as if it wants to work, but that i am just not doing it correctly (not a computer idiot i should point out). Just don't know what im not doing right on this because it is all very straightforward but the power LED just steadily flashes green and doesn't read the flash drive at all.

My experience is to be careful because I may end up having to RMA it and wait for it to come back and OEMs always reformat the drive which will wipe out all my files and mean i have to resetup windows (i know how we all hate to do that) :|

nexus15, Nov 5, 2008
  13. bgriggs

Tamrac

Flashed mine even before 3305 became official. Never had any issues with the BIOS, in the original version... and on going to 3304 and 3305. Maybe because I kept on upgrading it before I can experience the issues. So far, no issues at all with the 3305 BIOS. And I'm using my AAO quite extensively now. The wifi issue is more of a driver problem than BIOS if yo asked me.... On relatively 1st gen units, like the AAO. Always expect to do alot of updates, specially the BIOS & Drivers.

Tamrac, Nov 5, 2008
  14. bgriggs

mzc

What is your wifi device? Atheros AR5006EG? I'm also using AAO110. Even on Mandriva 2009 the problem also persist. Just wondering if the AAO110 versions distributed in the Phil may be different from Canada.

mzc, Nov 7, 2008
  15. bgriggs

mzc

I have rolled back to 3109. everything works fine now. It seems that my machine is an older version and does not work properly with the new BIOS, 3305.

Tamrac,
    when did you buy your AA0, I heard that AA0 bought since October are eligible for an Atom 330 (Dual-core version) upgrade.

mzc, Nov 13, 2008
  16. bgriggs

Tamrac

Yup, it's an Atheros... are there some other wifi cards on the AAO? I haven't read any that has a different one. I think all the AAO are basically the same, the only differences are in the batches... of w/c no one knows what goes where... Some with the Intel SSD, some with Samsung. Some with silent fan(mine is thank god), and some with the screaming ones. hehehe.

These things always happen on 1st generation devices. See what happened to the MAC Air.... Hopefully the Acer Aspire Two? will greatly improve on this. But then again, geesh a $300 laptop? I still cant believe I'm using this more than my Lenovo X series costing $2000+ ;)

Tamrac, Nov 13, 2008
  17. bgriggs

jaydon34

flashed mines as well and the wifi problems are gone.

jaydon34, Nov 13, 2008
  18. bgriggs

scrobblix

I have an old AAO 110 (with the crappy 8GB SSD) and flashed the BIOS from version 3109 with Winflash. I didn't have any problems with the old one, but wanted to try out the newer, besides having the hope a new 16GB SDHC be recognized by Windows XP (where it freezes the current window for a few minutes) or Xubuntu (where it isn't recognized at all). I have no problems whatsoever with the update, and the SDHC still continues to be not functional in both OS. I know, this update didn't intend to address any issues with SDHC cards, but why not try it anyway?

scrobblix, Nov 15, 2008
  19. bgriggs

mzc

Have you tried Mandriva One 2009? a lot of people have been trying this distro including myself. it should be worth trying; everything works out of the box except the wifi LED.

mzc, Nov 15, 2008
  20. bgriggs

FehHkk

Flashed my A150 as soon as I got it (came with 3114), and no issues.

FehHkk, Nov 15, 2008
Ask a Question