Expansion: Cheap Class 6 or Good Class 4?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by marudai, Aug 22, 2008.

1. marudai

marudai

I'll probably order my Aone tomorrow and I'm thinking about what to stick in the expansion slot. I'm definitely looking for a 16gig card but I'm wondering if I want to take a risk on an A-data Class 6 card or go with a more reliable brand like PNY or SanDisk and settle for a Class 4.

Is the A-data worth the risk that I'll get one that should have been rejected in QC?

marudai, Aug 22, 2008
  2. marudai

janss

Don't know about the A-Datas they sell where you live, but my 16 GB class 6 A-Date has a lifetime warranty, so I'm not that much conserned about it's quality.

janss, Aug 22, 2008
  3. marudai

radioham

I've got PNY OPTIMA SDHC 16Gb CLASS 4 on my AA1 A110 LINPUS LITE and it work fine : read DivX / Xvid from card with VLC and fast forward up to 8x follows...

radioham, Aug 27, 2008
  4. marudai

2manydjs

I can choose between a Kingston Class 6 (6MB/s minimal, maximal?) for S$42 or a Sandisk Ultra II Class 4 (Maximum 15MB/s) for S$53. Would the Kingston's maximum speed be around 15MB/s as well?

2manydjs, Aug 28, 2008
  5. marudai

Speedstep

You seem to have the Classes mixed.
    [​IMG]

http://www.sdcard.org/about/speed_class/
    Class 6 is fastest.

Class 2 Card: A speed of 2 MB/s or higher is guaranteed at the best fragmented state where no memory unit is occupied.
    Class 4 Card: A speed of 4 MB/s or higher is guaranteed at the best fragmented state where no memory unit is occupied.
    Class 6 Card: A speed of 6 MB/s or higher is guaranteed at the best fragmented state where no memory unit is occupied.

Speedstep, Aug 28, 2008
  6. marudai

goofball

They don't actually. The Sandisk Ultra II's are class4 (as stated by Sandisk) but show 15MB/sec sustained read/write on the label.

Don't forget that the "Class" rating is a minimum guaranteed speed, not a maximum. Sandisk is rating conservatively so they can label their Extreme line Class 6. If they rated Ultra II class 6 as well, people would probably not buy the Extreme's as often (the "average" consumer, i'm talking about).

goofball, Aug 28, 2008
  7. marudai

apaige

Buy this. I know I will.

apaige, Aug 29, 2008
  8. marudai

goofball

As well, you have to consider the performance of the reader under the OS.

I have tested my panasonic 2GB SD Card in various readers. Using the AAO's storage slot, it was 11MB/sec read/write in XP. In vista, same card and driver set, it was 16MB write/23MB read. I didn't test under Linux.

I also did the same test with a kingston 4gb SDHC class 4. Under XP, it was around 6MB/sec read/write and 11/17 under Vista.

I can't really understand why the kingston didn't go to 11mb/sec like the Panasonic peaked at but those are the results obtained using ATTO disk benchmark.

goofball, Aug 29, 2008
Ask a Question