error message: "No bootable device"

Discussion in 'Storage' started by gabejedmo, Dec 14, 2008.

1. gabejedmo

gabejedmo

I bought my acer aspire one 120 gig about a week ago. Twice now when I've went to start it up, I got a darkened screen with text informing that, among other things, there was a "Media test failure-check cable", and "No bootable device-insert boot disk and press any key". Not that you can enter any boot disk since this doesn't have a cd-rom. Fortunately in both cases I turned it off and then it started up normal after that.

However I'm wondering if this could be a sign of things to come because the hard drive may have some issues. I haven't installed anything on the computer other than the McAfee security stuff that came with it. My friend thought it might be because I left a flashdrive in it and then had it on standby all night. Doesn't seem like that should do it but maybe I am supposed to remove such devices before putting it to bed at night.

So to get to my point, what do you think: if it were you would you take it down to the store (since it has a two week window for returns) asap, tell them there's something wrong with the hard drive and exchange it for another one?

gabejedmo, Dec 14, 2008
  2. gabejedmo

lohtse

OOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo EEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer

Last Time I had an error like that my hard drive died(on a laptop) so had to get a new one... I would suggest you do a complete back up of your hard drive and then download and install a hard drive error checking software. Run it and see what it says.. Hopefully you may be ok...

regards
    Andrew

lohtse, Dec 14, 2008
  3. gabejedmo

kassick

@gabejedmo

I have the very same issue. Apparently, the HDD isn't recognized during the first boot (though the hdd led is on for some time), so the bios goes to the next option (pxe) before failing.

Weird enought, sometimes it works on the first boot.

This problem started some 3 months after I bought it.

I would advice you to replace your unit; but let us know if the new unit has the same issue

kassick, Jan 8, 2009
  4. gabejedmo

Kayode

I just started getting the same problem, but mine has never recovered. I posted a thread about it in the Beginners' Section. The AA1 I'm working with is only about 2 weeks old. :(

Kayode, Jan 9, 2009
Ask a Question