egoboo, VLC, Filezilla etc. now available from Acer

Discussion in 'Linux' started by macles, Oct 8, 2008.

1. macles

macles

macles, Oct 8, 2008
  2. macles

Duncan_Rowland

hmm.. egoboo is broken as the character models are invisible...
    I think this is a problem with the original source code.
    -Duncan.

Duncan_Rowland, Oct 8, 2008
  3. macles

TTgowings

Can anyone confirm or deny that this Acer approved VLC is the same as the one already available or is this a "crippled" version ?

If one already had VLC installed do we then un-install it and install the new official one ?

Also will installing this one automatically put an icon on our desktop without having to do a bunch of scripts ?

TTgowings, Oct 8, 2008
  4. macles

Guest Guest

No it is not the same. Acer supplied one does not have the patented codecs.

Guest, Oct 8, 2008
  5. macles

mports

Hi Duncan,

I had noticed the same problem, at first it didn't work for me. Then I remembered that a few days ago I enabled the dithering settings as outlined on Macles blog. I did a fresh install of Linpus without the differing hack and can confirm that Egoboo now runs perfectly.

Regards

Mark

mports, Oct 9, 2008
  6. macles

OneHead

Filezilla works perfectly, the GIMP suffers only from the smaller screen, and Skype is also a simple installation that has saved me a few hours figuring out which of the available RPMs to try first ... :)

Can anyone tell me what the audio settings should be for Skype? I can hear audio but I can't get the internal mic to work ... I've selected "Mic boost" as the recording source in the mixer, and left the settings in Skype at default, but there's still no audio input.

OneHead, Oct 9, 2008
  7. macles

Duncan_Rowland

HI Mark,
    I don't understand... I've never done anything about dithering, or Macles blog, so I'd expect my system to just work out the box wouldn't I? Or are you saying I need to recompile the video drivers but with dithering disabled? (and just to be clear, you can see the characters/monsters running about in egoboo, and not just their shadows?)
    Thanks, -Duncan.

Duncan_Rowland, Oct 9, 2008
Ask a Question