Ebay touch screen purchase advice needed

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by simbeb, Jan 11, 2010.

1. simbeb

simbeb

Hi there. I am after a solderless touch screen for the original 8.9in AA1 off Ebay. Although I've bought and fitted several in the past, i am getting a bit worried about buying one now:

-Bought 2 from onetouch4sale which installed and worked perfectly. The controller board of the 3rd one was dead. They sent me another board but it wasn't working either.

-bought 1 from Visualtouchworld. It was a flexible plastic one. Not only the power was too weak (webcam did not get enough power and the touch screen wasn't working properly) but there was a bubble between the screen and the touch screen as though a liquid had been trapped in between the two.

e3b6a5y is also selling it at a high postage and packaging cost, and I haven't tried that one.

Do you have another seller that you would advise for sure?

NB: to the sellers' credit, I have got a refund for all the screens i have returned...

simbeb, Jan 11, 2010
  2. simbeb

AOD150BLACK

Hoda Tech

AOD150BLACK, Jan 12, 2010
  3. simbeb

simbeb

Thanks. I've tried searching for that seller but they don't seem to exist. tried "hoda tech" and "hodatech" with no luck...

simbeb, Jan 13, 2010
  4. simbeb

AOD150BLACK

AOD150BLACK, Jan 13, 2010
  5. simbeb

simbeb

I get it!
    The new multitouch one is tempting but they don't appear to have it in 8.9"; I guess 8.9" screens on netbooks are now too "last year". Also, i don't do soldering, so I'll have to wait for a more idiot-proof release.

Thank you for suggesting a reliable brand for the screen. As we speak I am struggling to find anywhere that sells the Hoda tech one for the AA1... I can find it for the EEE PC and I am wondering if it wouldn't work just as well on the AA1...

cheers anyway aod150black :)

simbeb, Jan 13, 2010
  6. simbeb

AOD150BLACK

I'm pretty sure the EEEpc 8.9" will work with the Acer 8.9" models. You can email the seller and ask to be sure, and they may have a specific Acer model when you ask.

I personally didn't like the tight wire routing, so I spliced in an additional 2" of wires so I could route them easier. No soldering, just splicing with electric tape, and I've been fine now for 9+ months.

AOD150BLACK, Jan 14, 2010
  7. simbeb

simbeb

Thanks for all the advice.

simbeb, Jan 15, 2010
Ask a Question