DVD Drive doesn't recognize any CD/DVD

Discussion in 'Storage' started by kidaidov, Apr 25, 2015.

1. kidaidov

kidaidov

Hello! I'm David and I have just made my account for this forum.
    There has been an issue with my laptop for a while but I have decided to get to the bottom of it once and for all.
    My laptop is Acer Aspire 8735G and I am using Windows 7. The problem that I have is that the DVD Drive won't recognize anything that I insert. No matter if it is a CD or a DVD, when I put it inside it does absolutely nothing, as if it is empty and there is no disc inserted.
    I've googled my problem many times and I've tried plenty of solutions that I have found but nothing seems to work for me. I've checked numerous times for updates for the drivers but it says that everything is up to date, I've tried disabling the drive and enabling it but that won't work either, I also tried to do the thing where you delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters, however they do not exist in my case since I located the specific folder that they are supposed to be in but they simply are not there. I also tried other things that I honestly can't remember so I am opening this thread as my last hope.
    Can anyone help me fix it?
    Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

kidaidov, Apr 25, 2015
  2. kidaidov

something back

It could just be a faulty dvd drive?
    Or the bios not recognising it “unlikely”

You mention that you have tried to remove the driver software for the dvd drive.
    Not knowing your procedures lets try a few things

PRESSING the start button “type” device driver

From the new screen SCROLL DOWN to dvd/cd-rom drives, then click
    the dvd/cd-rom drives icon.

It will then list your drive model right click it, then choose “uninstall” restart your machine.

Upon restarting it should re-find your drive automatically.

If this does not work then,it may need you to remove the dvd/cd drive usually held in by one screw
    with the drive out “restart the machine”, then when booted, “turn it off again“ then when it's off
    refit the drive “then restart”. This method may free a usb type interaction fault "iRQ problem".

Another thought check to see if the drive is listed in the bios press f12 at boot up
    if it's not then reboot this time press f2 at boot up, and see if the motherboard discovers it.

If all this fails, then it's more than likely a faulty drive.

Last chance is to retry a bios update.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    something back, Apr 25, 2015
  3. kidaidov

Connie858

This is the most likely problem.
    DVD/CD drive failure is surprisingly common but luckily they are very cheap to replace.

Connie858, May 31, 2015
  4. kidaidov

Phillip Walters

Make sure you double check a few things before you buy a new cd/dvd drive. blow air thru the drive to make sure there is not too much dust in there. Also make sure your using good disk and they are compatible.

Phillip Walters, Dec 31, 2015
  5. kidaidov

vinaya

This might be caused by dust on your DVD/CD reader. If this is not fixed even after cleaning your DVD/CD drive, I think the lens of your DVD/CD drive is not working. In that case you need to replace your drive.

vinaya, Feb 7, 2016
  6. kidaidov

Walter Garcia

Hi,

Please visit the following link to fix problems with CD or DVD drives that can’t read or write media:

http://goo.gl/mmKWz

Once you are on the above link, click on the Run Now button and follow the on-screen instructions.
    In case it does not resolve the issue, most likely the cause is two Windows registry entries that have become corrupted. To fix the problem, you have to use Registry Editor to delete the corrupted Registry entries. To use this method, you must be logged on to Windows as an administrator.

You can delete the corrupted entry by following the steps below:
    Click Start, and then click All Programs.
    Click Accessories, and then click Run.
    Type regedit, and then click OK. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
    In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    In the right pane, click UpperFilters.
    Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry.
    On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    In the right pane, click LowerFilters.
    On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    Exit Registry Editor.
    Restart the computer.
    If the DVD Drive is still not able to read any disk, you might need to replace the DVD Drive.
    Please let us know, if the above steps were able to resolve the issue, in case not then we would check the system warranty & help you further…

Regards,
    Walter Garcia

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2016
    Walter Garcia, Feb 23, 2016
  7. kidaidov

Corzhens

It happened to my desktop before. The pilot light turns on with the red light after inserting the CD or DVD but only for a short moment. And then nothing happens. The technician who disassembled the disk drive said the read/write head is faulty. And when it didn't run after cleaning, the tech requested for a replacement of the drive. Yours may be a different case altogether but my experience can maybe help you in your diagnosis.

Corzhens, Feb 23, 2016
Ask a Question