Dual boot setup advice

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by gezhall, Jan 19, 2011.

1. gezhall

gezhall

Hi all. I have the AAO, model ZG5 - pretty basic 8Gb model.

I want to set up a dual boot system as we have two users, I want Linux and she wants XP. I'm going to start from scratch with everything and could do with some advice.

Firstly which is best to install first, and which second? Which is likely to cause the least headaches?

Also, I'm still unsure which Linux to use. I want something tailored to this machine: I used Kuki before but have had issues, and have been recommended ArchOne. Whatever I choose I want it to be easily compatible with the dual boot situation.

Any advice or links for setting this up appreciated!

gezhall, Jan 19, 2011
  2. gezhall

Darryl

Its gonna be a squeeze but I would prob go for Xp and puppy linux. Install xp first then use a partition manager (gparted or partedmagic) to edit your hd. Shrink the xp partition directly after install and puppy should install to the unallocated space. There's lots of info on this...

http://www.google.com/search?client=ubu ... 886609171d

alternatively you could create a persistent version on a 8gb stick which will retain changes to the programs on it as well as leave space for storage and just boot from that. Choose a netbook version tho...
    http://www.google.com/search?client=ubu ... 8&oe=utf-8

many linux distros also install inside windows !! search for wubi.exe

Darryl, Jan 19, 2011
  3. gezhall

gezhall

Thanks for the advice.

Now, I'm trying to install Windows over my existing Linux OS. I've bought a USB CD drive. When the thing boots up, I select F12 to change the boot order. The USB CD drive is there, and I select it. Then the screen goes blank, and the message "GRUB loading stage1.5" comes up and the device continues to load Linux as usual.

How can I get the Windows CD to boot?

gezhall, Jan 22, 2011
  4. gezhall

Darryl

Check out the windows forum

Darryl, Jan 24, 2011
  5. gezhall

donec

Sorry if this is a dumb question but does the USB CD drive have the Windows disk in it? If so can the disk be booted from on another computer? Some of the older XP disk were upgrade/repair disk and so they may not be bootable.

donec, Jan 25, 2011
  6. gezhall

gezhall

Hi again.

Yes, I've not tested this drive on other machines, with a number of discs. It boots up just fine.

So my issue here is something to do with this netbook setup...

gezhall, Jan 25, 2011
  7. gezhall

donec

That statement says it is not anything to do with the netbook setup. I say this because when you hit F12 and see the USB CD then you are bypassing the bios boot selection and everything on your netbook drive. When the computer looks at the CD it looks for a boot sector to tell it what to do and does what it is told. Now if it does not find any understandable information on the CD then it reverts back to the bios setting and goes to the next device for boot information.

You say you have tried the CD drive on other machines but have you tried the CD on other machines to see if it will boot?

Because it sounds like a non-bootable Windows CD to me.

donec, Jan 26, 2011
  8. gezhall

gezhall

Hi,

Yes I've tried a number of bootable CDs, such as Utility CDs as well, all of which boot up on other machines.

gezhall, Jan 29, 2011
  9. gezhall

donec

It sounds like you don't understand what I am saying.

Have you tried to boot from the windows CD on another computer? I think you may have a bad Windows disk.

donec, Jan 29, 2011
  10. gezhall

gezhall

Yes, and it's fine.

Anyway, we've given up the idea of Windows... I can tell already that it will run like a dog.

We're sticking with Linux, for which I'll start another thread...

gezhall, Jan 30, 2011
  11. gezhall

Swarvey Moderator

Even though you've probably given up by now, and sounds like you are against windows anyway, did you try tapping the Enter button repeatedly after selecting the USB-CD as a boot device?

A standard, bootable Windows XP disk will generally flash up a message (in NATIVE mode) asking you to press any key to boot from the disk, most people would normally press enter. However, the problem is different computers boot at different speeds and appear to skip certain stages, to add to that, the XP disk can't possibly recognise every single computer configuration out there. So what's happening is it's probably trying to put the message up, it's just not visible because of the computers configuration, and if you don't tap a key to start the Windows installation when this message (is supposed to) appear, it then tries to boot from your primary HDD, which, in your case, means it will then attempt to boot grub to load linux.

You are right, XP will run "like a dog" on your SSD, unless you install flashfire. It's also a baaaad idea anyway as an 8Gb SSD just won't have enough room for Windows, let alone running it in a dual boot with linux, or any other operating system.

Anyway, if you want to try installing Windows again, just keep tapping Enter after selecting the USB-CD as a boot device and the installation should start, be warned, it will take a fair while to install because of the SSD.

Swarvey, Jan 31, 2011
Ask a Question