Downgrade v0.3308 -> v0.3114?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Aeroraptor, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Aeroraptor

Aeroraptor

Hey all,
    My Aspire 150 is running the v.3308 BIOS right now, with only six backlight steps. I would very much like having the four lower steps that v0.3114 provides, so do you guys think it's safe or even possible to do a downgrade? I'm running win7 b7048 and not using anything like a1ctl.

Thanks! John

Aeroraptor, Apr 10, 2009
  2. Aeroraptor

jackluo923

Why not upgrade the bios to v0.3309? It also has 10 step LCD backlight brightness steps.

jackluo923, Apr 10, 2009
  3. Aeroraptor

Aeroraptor

Oh wow it does? I thought they were gone for good. Guess I'm upgrading, then! :D

Aeroraptor, Apr 10, 2009
  4. Aeroraptor

ronime

All BIOS have 10 brightness steps, the issue is that with certain combinations of LCD panels and BIOS versions the lower 4 levels are almost identical (only 1% difference between each step).

If you don't see 10 distinct backlight levels with v3308 then you won't see them with v3309 either. Acer have not done anything different in v3309 than they did in v3308 in this respect. The backlight issues were last addressed in v3306c. v3114 is the latest version that gives many AA1s a full set of 10 distinct levels.

There are no restrictions on BIOS upgrades and dowgrades. When you install a new BIOS it completely replaces the previous version.

ronime, Apr 10, 2009
  5. Aeroraptor

janss

All that ronime said was accurate.

How ever, you can circumvent the backlight "fix" by flashing your One with Backard Bell of Gateway BIOS, the machines are exactly the same and their newest bios is same as One's 3309 except they have just one screen brightness table and no lcd detections to f* your brightness tables :)

More info and instructions can be found from macles' blog.

janss, Apr 14, 2009
  6. Aeroraptor

ronime

Windows users should be aware that their fan control software will probably not work properly with the Gateway or Packard Bell BIOS. I have emailed Ralf, asking if AA1FanControl could be patched to work with the Gateway and PB BIOS. No reply as yet. Not sure if noda has any upgrades planned for aa1ctl.

ronime, Apr 14, 2009
  7. Aeroraptor

janss

Yeah, Linux and acerfand had the same problem, but there's a built-in fix for it in the newer acerfands by using the conf-file to override the BIOS version detection. After that, all works fine.

janss, Apr 14, 2009
  8. Aeroraptor

mutti_wilson

I can confirm that the Gateway bios 3103 works with a1ctrl v 0.4 perfectly. It redetected my audio on 1st boot, but thats it.

mutti_wilson, Apr 30, 2009
Ask a Question