dosfstools caused problems

Discussion in 'Linux' started by nugroho2, Dec 3, 2008.

1. nugroho2

nugroho2

I installed dosfstools.rpm (fc7, as this is what the site says for Fedora 8; no fc8 version) for vfat format, ran gparted, modified a partition size and formatted a USB with FAT32. All went fine, but after half an hour suddenly the Thunar showed weird behavior. I closed the AA1 and restarted. It went blank, with only a big X as the mouse pointer. All black.

Any ideas? I tried to reinstall using the fc10 (dosfstools-3.0.0-2.fc10.i386.rpm) but I felt some problem with Thunar. So I uninstalled it.

nugroho2, Dec 3, 2008
  2. nugroho2

rbil

I don't think that installing dosfstools caused the problem with Thunar. Obviously your file system on the SSD got corrupted somehow. Probably just a coincidence and not related to that install. I find that these SSD drives are pretty "fragile". Possibly it's due to the slow writes to the drive? It doesn't seem to take much more than simply using the system to encounter problems like this. Hence the need for a good backup.

Cheers.

rbil, Dec 3, 2008
Ask a Question