Don't know what's best

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Guest, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi to Everyone.

Firstly i'm new here and this is my first post so bear with me, Yesterday received my Acer Aspire One
    A150x 1GB Ram and 120 GD HDD with Windows XP Home.
    Have already connected it to my ASDL modem Router with is also running 2 desktops and i must say
    at this early stage it is very good on the internet although some concern about the fan noise present.
    Both my desktops are in the same room and i am having to use an extended RJ45 cable to use my Acer in the
    lounge or bedroom which does not like nice.
    My question is what do i need to do to make my Acer 150 more mobile and not dependent on my ASDL Router.
    Have so far in 12 years never ventured into the wireless setup so don't know where to start here.
    What would i need extra to buy and how easy will it be to set-up, and remember the Acer Aspire has no CD drive.
    I do have an unused brand new BT Voyager 2091 Wireless ADSL Router with installation CD which i cannot use on
    my Acer Aspire, can i make any use of this or anyone have any other ideals that would be useful to me.
    Many thanks in advance.

Guest, Oct 2, 2008
  2. Guest

melhiore

The CD ROM with software is needed only on one PC - mostly there is some administration soft. Once configured will work with every managed Wi-Fi capable unit. All you need is configure ADSL router from one of your desktops. In AA1 you have to log-in to ADSL using password configured previously. And that's it - you have wireless access... In my home I have Linksys router but principals are the same always...

melhiore, Oct 2, 2008
  3. Guest

Dartsani

Most of the WLAN modems don't need any installation to your computer, at least mine did work immediately with Telewell TW-EA510 box.
    Got 1 desktop, 2 bigger laptops and my new baby hooked in it, wireless.

Dartsani, Oct 2, 2008
  4. Guest

sdousley

I would even go as far as to say that the CD is not needed on any PC. I know with AOL, they send out a CD to install their software, but that then asks for username and password etc.

You should be able to setup the wireless router from a normal PC (or your Aspire One) by using a wired cable to it. I would always advise leaving at least one machine connected to the router via wire if possible though, that way, you can easily diagnose problems with the wireless should you come across any.

sdousley, Oct 2, 2008
  5. Guest

melhiore

Mostly truth. There is only little amount of routers that need software activation via companion CD...

melhiore, Oct 2, 2008
Ask a Question