does it work completely or perfectly or out of the box

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by donec, Dec 25, 2008.

1. donec

donec

I see lots of questions about whether an OS will work with the AAO. I don't believe there is any OS that works "completely" with any computer. I know that paying for an OS does not mean you will get one that works without any hasel or without having to make changes or buy special hardware. Windows has never worked like that nor has any OS I have ever tried and that is a list too long to list here since I have been using computers since 1974. At present the desktop that my wife uses is running XP SP3 (which was paid for) and it did not recognize the Targus USB hub I installed but Mandriva did as did Mepis and Ubuntu. Also the digital tablet I have does not work with the desktop but does with the 3 laptops which are not running XP. I have seen many printers not seen or work right also. I have never seen any OS that standby / suspend / hibernate ever work all the time right. There will always be something to fix, change, find a work around or correct. The biggest point with Linux is there are so many ways to make these changes and it is all for free.

donec, Dec 25, 2008
  2. donec

BazookaAce

I agree. I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 on my AAO, and it works fine. But not all the functions works out of the box, like the microphone and the Wifi-LED. It's the same thing with USB-devices. It just won't mount OTB. But a little tweaking, and you're there.

BazookaAce, Dec 26, 2008
Ask a Question