does 1.8 has slower boot than SSD

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by FireSoul, Dec 2, 2008.

1. FireSoul

FireSoul

as the topic says ... cause i have a friend installed 1.8 disk and its boot is slowed a lot ...

can this be fixed ? and how please

FireSoul, Dec 2, 2008
  2. FireSoul

ronime

the Toshiba MK3008GAL that I tried read at 20mb/s when tested with HD Tune. The original Intel SSD reads at almost 40mb/s. So yes, the SSD will potentially boot in around half the time of the HD. However the write speed of the HD is better than that of the SSD and therefore you would not have to suffer the freeze after logging in and at other times when XP tries to write to the slow SSD.

More recent Toshiba and Samsung HDs may be slightly faster.

If the Toshiba HD that I tried had not been faulty I would have kept it in my AAO since peformance overall was improved over the SSD.

ronime, Dec 2, 2008
  3. FireSoul

lotus49

1.8" hard disks are pretty slow. They were really designed for a niche in devices such as iPods where speed is not a factor. If you are listening to music, there isn't much point in being able to read it from the disk much faster than you can listen to it.

I run Ubuntu 8.10 on my SSD One and, although I get the occasional freeze, they are not frequent or long-lasting. Linux seems to make a better job of asynchronous writes than XP does. My experience of XP (which, I must admit, is almost entirely on work laptops using our standard build) is that it still does this even with a HDD, just to a lesser extent.

If you really need more than about 40GB, then you probably have no choice but to opt for a HDD. The write speed on our SSDs is not great but I do more reads than writes so the faster write speed of some HDDs does not outweigh their fragility and slow read speed.

I am banking on the price of SDHC cards falling faster than my disk usage rises. Already 32GB are not that expensive (you should be aware that there are a lot of fakes on eBay - cards that say they're 16GB or 32GB but just silently dump most of the data you write to them) and perhaps larger cards are not far off. The SDHC standard restricts the size of SDHC cards to 32GB but I don't think that this is a technical restriction as the theoretical maximum for the addressing scheme SDHC cards use is 2TB.

So it's SSD FTW but YMMV :)

lotus49, Dec 2, 2008
  4. FireSoul

ronime

I have just done some startup and shutdown timings on my 110 with XP Home installed on the 8GB SSD formatted with FAT32, 1.5GB RAM, no paging file, no prefetch.

From pressing the Power button to the point where the HD access LED stops flashing and I am logged in and the computer responds to mouse clicks takes over 2 minutes. Shutdown takes over 30 seconds. Much of this time is I believe spent attempting to write to the SSD.

I am working on an nLite'd XP installation image and some registry hacks that will see most of the writes occurring to my Veho Class 6 8GB SDHC card. This has a write speed of around 15mb/s so should be a great improvement. The registry hives will still be on the XP boot partition on the SSD. Hopefully this will improve things and the prospect of decent SDHC cards like the SanDisk Extreme III 30mb/s Edition cards falling in price will provide an alternative to expensive SSD replacements.

What would be nice would be a File System Filter that redirects writes to the SSD to another disk device -i.e. a fast dual-channel USB flash drive or SDHC card. The EWF driver can only redirect writes to a memory cache (RAM disk).

Hopefully I will be able to report the results of my experiment later this week.

ronime, Dec 3, 2008
  5. FireSoul

FireSoul

can't this be fixed with a batch or something .. ( i know it sound stupid ) but hdd work better with parallals so it is slow in reading but it can read in more than one place at the same time

so can a patch fix this and make it boot in a parallal method ?

FireSoul, Dec 3, 2008
  6. FireSoul

ronime

I am not sure what you mean exactly but I very much doubt it. If you use something like HDTune in Windows or hdparm in Linux you will see that the HD is probably already operating in UDMA Mode 5 or greater.

The performance issue as I see it is that a 1.8" diameter disk spinning at 4200rpm does not move past the head very quickly and thus physical transfer rates are limited.

ronime, Dec 3, 2008
  7. FireSoul

FireSoul

what i like the most about AAO is the linpus 20 second boot

my friend , got the 1.8 and the linpus boot reached up to 40 second

if i am getting the 1.8 , i think i will install fedora 10 , ... Well the boot be more than 40 Seconds ?

FireSoul, Dec 4, 2008
  8. FireSoul

FireSoul

mmm just thought of it ... mmmm can i attach a 1.8 drive to the PCI-E slot meant for the 3g ?? is there a connecter that enables this

so i get a lot of gigas with the great fast boot :D ( i know i am a noob )

FireSoul, Dec 4, 2008
  9. FireSoul

ronime

Unfortunately not. The 3G PCI-E slot only supports network connectivity hardware, not SSDs. You will be lucky to find an AAO that actually has the 3G PCI-E connector (and supporting passive components) actually soldered onto the motherboard at the moment.

ronime, Dec 4, 2008
Ask a Question