Do you use your touch pad?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by SirJoe, Mar 11, 2016.

1. SirJoe

SirJoe

I never did get used to the touch pad and always carry a mouse in my computer bag. There are times that I can't use the mouse and so I will use the touch pad.
    How about you do you use your touch pad?

SirJoe, Mar 11, 2016
  2. SirJoe

Corzhens

It's funny that it's only now I remember what it's called - touch pad. What I usually say is track ball even if it's not a trackball but a touch pad. Anyway, I sometimes use it but occasionally. I still prefer the mouse which is part of my paraphernalia. I don't think I can be at home with the touch pad especially when I am trying to highlight a line for copying. With a mouse, all I do is to hover and click, no sweat.

Laptop makers should think about this issue. Why install something that is convenient for the laptop but inconvenient to the laptop user?

Corzhens, Mar 11, 2016
  3. SirJoe

nytegeek

I use the touchpad on my HP, but the gestures make it easy. I use a mouse with my Toshiba and my Dell.

nytegeek, Mar 11, 2016
  4. SirJoe

IcyBC

I only use the touch pad on the laptop but when I still have my desktop I use the mouse. I like the touch pad and I think it is just fine.

IcyBC, Mar 12, 2016
  5. SirJoe

Personablue

I may be called old fashioned or may be not after reading the above post, but I always prefer the mouse over the touch pad. I, for the life of me, can't master the touch pad. Sometimes, it is necessary to use in situations like being inside a car etc. I wished they could improve this feature a bit more and resemble being more of a mouse in function without losing any portability.

Personablue, Mar 12, 2016
  6. SirJoe

Sefie

Never :p I never liked to use the touch pad, since the start I knew I had to use a mouse. That became quite obvious when I stsrted using my laptop for gaming.

Sefie, Mar 12, 2016
  7. SirJoe

vinaya

when my laptop was new I avoided using the touch pad because I did not want to worn it out. I used a mouse. After one year of using the mouse, it stopped functioning. Then after, I began using touch pad.

vinaya, Mar 12, 2016
  8. SirJoe

rz3300

If I have the option of using a mouse I will do that, but otherwise I am okay with using the pad. I have just gotten used to it at this point, but I still think that if I have to sit there at a computer for a decent amount of time then I would much rather have the mouse on my side. I think it is just easier on the arms, or maybe it is what I am more used to.

rz3300, Mar 12, 2016
  9. SirJoe

SirJoe

Is there a reason why you use the touch pad with the HP and not with the Toshiba and Dell?
    Some touch pads aren't that comfortable, they really don't feel that good under the fingers.

SirJoe, Mar 12, 2016
  10. SirJoe

hafiz93

I'll always use my mouse with my laptop, but there are a couple of exceptions. For example, if I'm at my friend's house for one night and I want to open my laptop real quick, if my mouse is broken, or if I'm in a class and I want to open my laptop. If I use my mouse, then I'll disable the touch pad so that it didn't interfere if I accidently touched it.

hafiz93, Mar 12, 2016
  11. SirJoe

ForeverANewbie

It's much easier for me to navigate my laptop with a mouse, but I do use a touch pad on occasion, such as when I'm using my laptop during a work meeting or something.

ForeverANewbie, Mar 16, 2016
  12. SirJoe

SirJoe

That's what I have found that people do. I myself do the same thing, the touchpad really ends up being the spare tire. If you don't have a mouse with you the touchpad will do.

SirJoe, Mar 18, 2016
  13. SirJoe

Dilof

I always use my touch pad when using a laptop as you can freely use it anywhere. For mouses you generally need a good surface to make it feel comfortable to work with. To be honest though the touchpad doing its own thing can sometimes get annoying.

Dilof, Mar 18, 2016
  14. SirJoe

Odst123

I will use it on occasion when just browsing the internet. But I really don't enjoy it. If at all possible I tend to bring a mouse along with me to plug into the computer, it is just so much easier and requires less effort to use than a touchpad. For gaming I will bring a gamepad and plug that in, so I don't really bother with a mouse in that case.

Odst123, Mar 19, 2016
  15. SirJoe

CasualGoofy

I use touchpad very often. Not that I like using it, but rather I've use all the usb ports, so I couldn't use my mouse. I tend to have lot of things connected while at home. When I go out, I couldn't be bothered to take my mouse with me.

CasualGoofy, Mar 19, 2016
  16. SirJoe

Dilof

It surprises me the amount of people that don't like using their touchpad. I get it if you're gaming and can't use a touchpad for gaming but for casual use I see no problem with using it. Maybe I've gotten so used to it that I just don't notice anymore.

Dilof, Mar 19, 2016
    SirJoe likes this.
  17. SirJoe

SirJoe

I have only met a handful of people that preferred using the touch pad over a mouse when using a laptop. In fact when I sold some laptops one of the things that people often would ask for was a mouse, but still I thought there would be more people that would like it.

SirJoe, Mar 20, 2016
  18. SirJoe

spence88

Yes I do, and in very peculiar ways if I might say. Believe it or not, I use the touchpad's left and right click buttons when playing the Windows Minesweeper game! I somehow find it faster if use my left hand to do the clicks and my right hand on the mouse to move the pointer. I also use them when I go somewhere and forget to bring my mouse with me. I'm obviously left with no choice but to use it, right? :)

spence88, Mar 25, 2016
  19. SirJoe

SirJoe

There is no reason that you can't use the two at the same time, just as long as you are comfortable using it. I sometimes like using the scroll function on the touchpad it seems faster, but for everything else I prefer the mouse.

SirJoe, Mar 25, 2016
  20. SirJoe

UpgradeMe

I do at this very second only because my batteries are dead and I haven't been to the $1 store yet :) I am not fully opposed to it, but I am absolutely certain that it causes more strain and damage in the long run than a classic mouse due to its central positioning as opposed to a more naturally postured placement.

UpgradeMe, Mar 28, 2016
Ask a Question