Do you use up your laptop memory easily?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by hades_leae, Aug 1, 2016.

1. hades_leae

hades_leae

My HP Pavilion came with 500GB SSD, and I already filled it up with videos. I had to delete 117GB worth of data because I had a lot of crap on it. When I tried downloading additional stuff, it froze up on me. That's when I knew whast the problem was.

I think it's pretty easy to use up all your memory, especially if you're not paying attention. So, do you use up your memory quick, or do you just go straight to a terabyte backup hard drive for storing all your data?

hades_leae, Aug 1, 2016
  2. hades_leae

Fuzyon

My laptop came with a 1 TB HDD and it's pretty much full, games take up a lot of memory so that may be one of the reasons I'm having trouble with my storage. I'm debating adding a second 2 TB HDD so I can make sure I have enough storage room. Shows and movies don't take up that much memory fortunately because I delete them immediately after I watch a certain one.

Fuzyon, Aug 1, 2016
  3. hades_leae

Novelangel

Pictures and videos are huge, that's why they suck up memory so fast. Yeah, I have similar issues, but I try to keep the problem under control by deleting the garbage whenever it pops up. I don't think I've ever completely used up the memory except once a long time ago when I was trying to play a game and it kept using up 'virtual memory', whatever that is. I would just tell it to add more virtual memory and the machine would work just fine. Pictures that are out of focus or badly framed get deleted, and multiple shots of the same scene also get snuffed. Videos get whittled down to only the good stuff and everything else goes bye-bye.

Novelangel, Aug 3, 2016
  4. hades_leae

SirJoe

My laptop only has 250GB but it's more then enough. I don't keep my downloads on my computer I transfer them out onto my external hard drives as soon as I can and try to keep my computer as empty as possible. I find that the more cluttered my computer is the slower it gets.

SirJoe, Aug 3, 2016
  5. hades_leae

vinaya

My laptop has 240 GB memory which has been partitioned into four drives of 60 GB each. Currently, my C drive is almost full, if I have to install a new program, I will have to uninstall an old program to make room for the new program. My other drives, D,E, and F are also almost full. I have movies, songs and ebooks on my computer.

vinaya, Aug 3, 2016
  6. hades_leae

Corzhens

My laptop has 500 GB of hard drive and its memory of 4GB never fails me because the applications installed are limited. We are not allowed to just install any software because we have a regulation to follow. But I guess if there are lots of application in my laptop, the operation will be affected. With the storage, there should be ample space so the virtual processing which is using the hard disk for virtual memory would not be hampered.

Corzhens, Aug 3, 2016
  7. hades_leae

vinaya

I always use up the entire memory of my laptop. I have my photos, videos,books and movies in my laptop and they eat up the storage. I also use various software, from Photoshop to video editor, thus, program files also use a large portion of my laptop's memory.

vinaya, Oct 2, 2016
  8. hades_leae

djtech

I try to backup stuff on a regular basis. In fact, now my backup has become incremental, meaning, I have a solid back HDD which has everything. And then I keep adding steam games and videos to it as I download them/update them. So, the answer is No! I don't use up my memory easily because I have a process to keep cleaning up as I get the job done.

djtech, Oct 5, 2016
  9. hades_leae

Aree Wongwanlee

Memory? I think we are talking about storage space here. Memory is what we use in the RAM. Storage space is what we use in the hard drive. Personally, I am not in favor of too much storage space. With too much storage space, there is a tendency to fill it up with trash. When we have less storage space, we are likely to do housekeeping more often.

Aree Wongwanlee, Oct 5, 2016
Ask a Question