Do you use a cooler?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Fuzyon, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Fuzyon

Fuzyon

I have a cheap, $15 cooler that helps me when I'm playing games and I think it's a worthy investment if you use your laptop for gaming. I think it would be an even bigger difference if I invested in a cooler that is more powerful.

Fuzyon, Jun 7, 2016
  2. Fuzyon

Vash

I used a cooler for my old Dell Vostro 1500 when it was still functional. I actually never cleaned the dust out of the fan and vent in that laptop, so eventually it was getting hotter and hotter. It was screwing up the graphics sometimes during gaming and even just watching a movie. After I let the laptop sit on the top of the cooler with two fans, the problem was solved. It worked since the laptop's own fan intake is at the bottom, so the cooler's fans were helping the laptop taking in air faster.

My current Surface Pro 4 does not need extra fan since I haven't really done any gaming for it. Nor the old cooler would be any good for it since it does not take in air from below.

Vash, Jun 9, 2016
  3. Fuzyon

vinaya

On my old laptop I used to have a cooling pad. My laptop had over heating problem thus I had to use cooling pad to avoid immediate shutting of my computer. During the summer peak when temperature is around 40 degree celsius I also use cooling pad to avoid any complications.

vinaya, Jun 9, 2016
  4. Fuzyon

IcyBC

I also use the cooling fan pad for my laptop, especially for my HP. I learned it the hard way by keeping the laptop on my lap and it got hot enough to leave marks on my laps, LOL. So I bought the cooling fan pads for all my children's laptops too.

IcyBC, Jun 9, 2016
  5. Fuzyon

acheno84

This exact same thing just happened to me. It actually burned me! I haven't gotten a cooling pad though, because I have heard that they aren't much better for it than laying it on a bed or couch. Which brand are you using and does it actually keep the base cool?

acheno84, Jun 9, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  6. Fuzyon

fcuco

I had to use it for older laptops, I had a Targus one with two fans, it was the only way to use any type of laptop running the Vista operating system. I remember running my HP pavillion on top of actual ice packs that I took right out from the freezer, the ones that you use for sore muscles and such, it was the only way that prevented the thing from melting: actual ice! Made no difference, that laptop died on me anyway.

Never do that, always put the laptop on a flat not cushioned surface to you don't interfere with the airflow.

fcuco, Jun 12, 2016
  7. Fuzyon

rz3300

I do not use a cooler and I never have, but I have to say that I am seriously considering it, especially now after reading about it for the last couple of weeks. I am not really familiar with the brands or the costs, so I will certainly have to do some research, but I just seem to be having these issues lately and I know that this would help out a lot. I hope I never have to resort to the freezer like @fcuco had to, but we shall see.

rz3300, Jun 12, 2016
  8. Fuzyon

IcyBC

I got the Belkin with two fans! They are very affordable on eBay! It helps but it drained the battery pretty fast. I guess once the fans of the laptop goes bad, you're just buying time! If you know how to remove the back of your laptop and cleaned it out like others have suggested, it probably will last longer with the use of cooling fan!

IcyBC, Jun 15, 2016
  9. Fuzyon

obliviousme

I used to have a cooling pad for my laptop but it just didn't work out so well, i feel like it doesn't really make a difference, the laptop is still hot when i use it for hours a day. One day i just stopped using it, until now i still don't use it. It's just a basic cooling pad, i don't remember the brand name but it's a cheap one.

obliviousme, Jun 16, 2016
  10. Fuzyon

sparkster

I did use one on my laptop as it did tend to have problems with overheating. That laptop has since packed in and I now have a brand new laptop. I don't really use it much for gaming and things like that, as it's really mainly for work. However, I don't really see the need in having a cooling pad for a brand new laptop unless you're going to be using it's power extensively.

sparkster, Jun 18, 2016
  11. Fuzyon

IBMPC8088

Just my air conditioner and a box fan. The laptop coolers don't really help much and are throwing money to the wind most times. Better off just keeping the cpu fan area clean of dust and keeping the room you use it in cooler or have a fan if at the office to do that.

IBMPC8088, Jun 18, 2016
  12. Fuzyon

GearZ

Nope, can't say that I ever have in all these decades of computing on a laptops, notebooks and luggables. I don't know that they do enough to justify their cost and bulk for most systems. On the other hand, I doubt they are any harm either, so to each their own.

GearZ, Jun 22, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  13. Fuzyon

redpanda

I use a notebook cooler, especially when gaming. I don't actually turn the fans on, though, I noticed that they didn't make much of a difference as far as internal temperatures go. I use a Cooler Master and have zero complaints. I actually bought two so I could have one sized for both my laptops. It was around $15 or something, I don't recommend spending a ton of money on a cooler because they're not all that different from each other. Plus, again, I don't even use the fans because they don't seem especially helpful (and I hate having a million things plugged in).

redpanda, Jun 28, 2016
Ask a Question