Do you travel with laptop or not?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by CasualGoofy, Mar 30, 2016.

1. CasualGoofy

CasualGoofy

I don't mean by traveling to your favorite coffee shop. I meant going on a trip. Some people don't bring it because it's vacation.

Regardless bus tour or overseas trip, I would take a notebook or netbook (Acer Aspire One) with me. Alienware M11x r2 is my travel device despite it's still a brick for something called notebook.

Do you bring your laptop or not?

CasualGoofy, Mar 30, 2016
    Krissttina Isobe and IBMPC8088 like this.
  2. CasualGoofy

IBMPC8088

Yes, but I always take a duplicate system as a designated traveltop (traveling laptop), while the main system stays in a safe somewhere away from my home but near by.

The file system is encrypted on the hard drive physically and on the file system itself that is user-readable a second time. Someone would have to know and get through both keys to use it if lost or stolen, and they would be missing the data that makes it readable again without knowing both of those sequences.

Technically both systems are this way, but I have to make sure that the second one is updated with the changes from the first or the delta could need to be re-added later and take time.

I either use an Asus or HP as the traveltop. :)

IBMPC8088, Mar 31, 2016
  3. CasualGoofy

UpgradeMe

^ Do you use a smaller/more modular laptop for travel? I am moving overseas and debating on having a different laptop with me for the switch, but my biggest problem is the keyboard/monitor/processing power, but I don't need much initially. I can upgrade afterwards once I'm there. Do you use like a USB keyboard extendo or anythin?

UpgradeMe, Mar 31, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  4. CasualGoofy

CasualGoofy

Where's the thumbs up option here? I don't think liking this post alone is enough! Rather than synced, my netbook is a lite version of notebook. It doesn't have as much software or media in it.

You certainly took an extra step and some, do you have gold in it (kidding)? I think it's worth the time to keep them in check:cool:

CasualGoofy, Mar 31, 2016
    spence88 and IBMPC8088 like this.
  5. CasualGoofy

CasualGoofy

If I'm moving somewhere for extended amount of time, I'd pick a 13~15" size. When it's a medium size laptop, you'd at least get a roomier keyboard. I never got another keyboard ever since I use laptop mainly. If anything, I'd get a USB mouse and then a monitor. I'd rather pick one with decent processing than have buyer's remorse why I didn't. Sometimes processor or graphic card are soldered to the laptop.

CasualGoofy, Mar 31, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  6. CasualGoofy

IBMPC8088

For years I got by using a smaller Asus netbook, and only plugged the devices that I needed into it. I was doing things drastically different back then than I am today; mostly modular, smaller fast projects, embedded stuff primarily, and almost exclusively mobile and travel-friendly for all occasions. If you just need a basic laptop that is as portable as can be, is good on battery life and durable enough for use, some of the smaller Lenovo thinkpads and Asus EEE series netbooks can do what you need them to and be extremely easy to use and convenient, especially if you have hands and fingers that work better on those types of keyboards. You can still plug any usb device into them that you need, but you have a lot of portability and carrying it around is easy and lighter than even a laptop would be. If you need slightly more power though, then an Ultrabook may be in order.

if you are moving overseas to a place where the power frequencies are different, be sure to brush up on the differences between US power and using converters to 220 from 110. There are adapters you will want and need for the plugs, but there is a little more that should be read up on it so that there aren't too many surprises when you move out there and need to plug it in to charge it.

IBMPC8088, Mar 31, 2016
    UpgradeMe likes this.
  7. CasualGoofy

IBMPC8088

Thanks. :) It has unobtanium for hackers (a rare form of valuable information as currency hehe). Funny enough, it does have gold and silver on the contacts of the motherboard, but that's just a fun fact to note: All computer motherboards contain gold and silver to a certain degree! It is not always easy or lucrative to extract these, but you can do it and still get something out of it if you ever wanted to. :)

I've seen what happens to people who don't secure their data or are too care-free about how they do it, so I try to go that extra mile to make sure I never have to. It is extra work and takes some extra consideration, but it is definitely worth it for the long run!

IBMPC8088, Mar 31, 2016
  8. CasualGoofy

spence88

I only bring my laptop on long vacations, or when it is absolutely necessary to do so (like finishing a project on deadline). It's a pain to have a monster laptop. I can't carry it around easily. Not that I regret buying it, but it would be nice to have a smaller laptop.

I don't quite understand this, but the way I understand it is that if somebody did have access to your files, they cannot read it multiple unless they know the key? Am I right?
    This blows my mind away. I'd like to try this one sometimes. Do I have to be an expert programmer? Is this possible on Windows?

spence88, Mar 31, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  9. CasualGoofy

IcyBC

If I go somewhere, I always bring my laptop with me since I am uncomfortable using other people's laptop. Their set up is different from mine, and I always consider laptop is a personal belonging, just like tooth brush!

IcyBC, Mar 31, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  10. CasualGoofy

Sefie

I'm on the daring side :) Last time I put my laptop in the bag, because well, you know airlines and how they make you pick one thing over another when it comes to ''personal items'' you can get into the plain with you. Anyway, I will do it again this year, getting another bag, but I know how to pack the laptop, so it doesn't break or damages.

Sefie, Apr 1, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  11. CasualGoofy

Corzhens

When my laptop was new, it was still on its original OS and setting. I had brought to 2 travels - one abroad and one domestic trip. Nothing important, just for the excitement maybe. At least we have a laptop in the hotel room availing of the wifi - it is more convenient than using the phone for internet access. However, as an official issue, the laptop was made to follow the standard. That means no USB socket and the wifi adaptor was disabled. So what's the use in bringing it on a trip?

Corzhens, Apr 1, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  12. CasualGoofy

UpgradeMe

Yeah, where I'm moving uses these weird triangle triple prong things, already aware but I don't plug much in anymore these days other than my laptop charger. Thanks for the recs - will probably still end up with a USB keyboard just to avoid cramping and all that nonsense.

Haven't really done much digging on ultra books but I will now, thanks a lot, u da bess ;)

UpgradeMe, Apr 1, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  13. CasualGoofy

Krissttina Isobe

I don't have one of my own, but if I did I'd bring my laptop with me wherever I go. I like having access to the internet and like using my own laptop to get access to the internet. I borrow a netbook 2gopc from the library and found that it's so easy to bring a laptop which is bigger, everywhere I go. I even bought a bag that was so cheap to carry my laptop with me and waiting for a laptop or at least a Galaxy Tab to put into it, lol! :p

Krissttina Isobe, Apr 2, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  14. CasualGoofy

CasualGoofy

The standard to have no USB and disabled wifi adapter o_Oo_Oo_O ?

Wifi or not, I still would have something to do on my laptop.

CasualGoofy, Apr 2, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  15. CasualGoofy

vinaya

Whether I go for a long travel or short trips, I always carry my laptop. Even when I have to stay over night away from home, I always carry my laptop. Since I am a professional writer and make most of the money from writing on the internet, I need to carry my laptop all the time.

vinaya, Apr 2, 2016
    IBMPC8088 and CasualGoofy like this.
  16. CasualGoofy

CasualGoofy

True! It does feel as important as packing up that tooth brush! I also hate to borrow other people's laptop. All I could really do on them is browse the internet.

CasualGoofy, Apr 2, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  17. CasualGoofy

CasualGoofy

I never borrowed a laptop from library. I think I would be paranoid about damaging it. What kind of bag that was so well priced? It looks like Samsung Galaxy Tab A is pretty good value tablet.

CasualGoofy, Apr 2, 2016
    IBMPC8088 and Krissttina Isobe like this.
  18. CasualGoofy

UpgradeMe

^ The idea that people can borrow laptops from a library is mindboggling to me. Like wow, talk about the future. I can only dream of an era where a laptop is so much less than a book, that books are so freely available that it makes more sense to lend out laptops and tablets than a book...

UpgradeMe, Apr 2, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  19. CasualGoofy

CasualGoofy

(ROFL) Yes that's one reason why I wonder if anyone don't bring their laptop. Because yes airlines have restrictions and all. And then there's the cabin size limit, so you can't have a huge carry on bag.

I have what would be considered by airline - a "personal" bag that carry both the laptop and ipad. Neither leaves my side basically (haha).

CasualGoofy, Apr 2, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
  20. CasualGoofy

Krissttina Isobe

*It's just a
    *It's just a briefcase looking waterproof vinyl shoulder strap one that has the store brand name on it and sold for under $2, so I bought it. It'll store the laptop or a Galaxy Tab easily for it has pockets inside with cushions too so I like it a lot! A netbook borrow is easy at the library the waiting for it is the hard part. You get put on a waiting list and when you're next to borrow the 2gopc you get a call from the library and you borrow it on your library card. You carry your laptop around so it's the same thing as borrowing a netbook from the library so no worries, just got to remember to return it on or before the due date that they'll stamp on the card just like borrowing a book. Every library has it's own system so check with your local library and see if they got the program locally for you if you'd like to borrow a netbook from the library.

Krissttina Isobe, Apr 2, 2016
    IBMPC8088 likes this.
Ask a Question