Do you think 2-in-1 laptop is better than laptop?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by vinaya, Apr 4, 2016.

1. vinaya

vinaya

I am thinking to get a new laptop as well as a tablet. I want laptop for writing and surfing internet, and I want a tablet to read books and watch videos. Do you think if I get 2-in-1 laptop, it will work for me?

vinaya, Apr 4, 2016
  2. vinaya

Sefie

I think that if you have the money you should get one of those laptops that can also be used as a tablet. I almost got one in the past, but in the end i decided to to for something else. But being able to use your laptop as a tablet as well is very practical, so why not? :)

Sefie, Apr 4, 2016
  3. vinaya

IcyBC

Two-in-one laptop sounds very enticing to me too for its convenient and portability. It is so cool to detach the laptop and carrying around. I am all set for now though because I already have an iPad my children bought for me 2 years ago.

IcyBC, Apr 4, 2016
  4. vinaya

fcuco

Not really, my experiences with these devices that try to be two things at once is that they fail at being good at either of the two roles because all types of compromises have to be made, usually the keyboard is not as good as a full fledged keyboard from a real laptop or the battery life suffers.

If you don't mind Microsoft products their Surface line appears to be the only thing resembling a product that actually manages to be a good 2 in 1. You can also get convertible laptops which are not exactly two in ones since you can't detach the keyboard.

If you only need the laptop part for the keyboard and not the operating system consider a tablet that supports the connection of a Bluetooth keyboard so you have the best of both worlds, a tablet and a good quality keyboard that you can pick independently of the tablet and that you can use on any other device in the future.

fcuco, Apr 4, 2016
  5. vinaya

Corzhens

Hmm, when you are buying something for yourself, I guess you have to be satisfied no matter the cost. Now, if you want that 2-in-1 laptop cum tablet, why not pursue it? We are also planning to buy a new computer and we are looking for a good laptop with large memory and fast processor. Since it is costly so we are still saving money for the budget. By the way, I think that 2-in-1 laptop is getting to be a craze here.

Corzhens, Apr 4, 2016
  6. vinaya

spence88

Just want to add my 2 cents. If you buy a tablet laptop you do get both a tablet and a laptop in a single device, but you don't get the better of the two. I mean, sure it can both work as tablet and a laptop, but there are tablets and laptops that can perform better individually as tablets and laptops. There is a trade off. But yeah stick to what you think is best, we're just here to give our opinions :) (EDIT: I just realized I said the same thing fcuco said, but whatever)

To add to fcuco's post, you can also look at ASUS Transformers Book series. It works similar with Microsoft Surface Series. I've read many comparison reviews, and the verdict seem to favor the former more. But those two are the two of the best tablet laptops around, it will just boil down to personal preference.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    spence88, Apr 5, 2016
  7. vinaya

vinaya

You raise an interesting point. The 2-in-1 laptop neither works as good as a tablet nor as good as a laptop. In a laptop, I need good keyboards because I do a lot of typing. If 2-in-1 laptop does not have a good keyboard, it is no good to me. I work outdoors thus I also need good battery life. Perhaps, I should get a laptop and tablet instead of 2-in-1 laptop.

vinaya, Apr 6, 2016
  8. vinaya

fcuco

There is also a limitation with tablets and it is the fact that they lack an Ethernet port, if you travel a lot you will find that WiFi is not so widespread and some hotels only offer you a wired connection, this is changing as it think that it is cheaper to simply buy a couple of WIFi routers and broadcast than to run a cable to every room, but even if you have the WiFi option it is usually painfully slow compared to a wired connection. In some hotels the tv is hooked to a network cable, I usually unplug it and use that instead of the awfully slow and probably not very secure WiFi. The surface lacks a port but offers you an USB adapter, so there is that.

fcuco, Apr 7, 2016
  9. vinaya

KimmyMarkks

I have the Lenovo touchscreen. It isn't the Yoga laptop but it flips to become a tablet. I love it for watching videos on (as it can easily fit on an exercise machine). However, the touchscreen part doesn't always work. I find myself having to restart my computer and flipping it back to laptop mode more then I would like.

KimmyMarkks, Sep 10, 2016
  10. vinaya

Aree Wongwanlee

Look at the cost first. Does buying a laptop plus a tablet costs more than getting a two-in-one laptop? If so, then consider getting a two-in-one. However, if the price difference is small like, say, only more by 10%, then it's better to get a laptop and a separate tablet. For one, you get two devices. If one fails, you still have another one to use.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 11, 2016
  11. vinaya

Allen1

frоm my еxpеriеnсе with thеm аLL оF THеM аRе HоRRIBLе.
    Unlеss hаving thе tаblеt fоr pоrtаbility is vеry high оn yоur priоrity list, just gеt а lаptоp. Thе соmbо's dоn't hаvе аnywhеrе nеаr аs muсh pоwеr аnd funсtiоnаlity аs а rеgulаr lаptоp dоеs.

Allen1, Sep 15, 2016
  12. vinaya

Fuzyon

2-in-1 laptops are interesting but their performance isn't the best. For your needs (watching movies, reading, browsing the internet) it should be more than enough but you'll be better off investing in a good laptop (anything over $500 will outshine 2-in-1's in terms of performance). I suggest going with a regular laptop and a Nexus tablet.

Fuzyon, Sep 15, 2016
  13. vinaya

vinaya

Your two cents matters. I have not bought a 2-in-1 laptop yet, but I checked couple of 2-in-1 laptop (my friends devices). In the beginning it looks cool because you have a device that can work as a laptop as well as tablet. But later, you will find the device does not perform as good as a regular laptop.

vinaya, Oct 10, 2016
  14. vinaya

Aree Wongwanlee

Think of a 2-in-1 as a compromise. It's not exactly a laptop and it's not exactly a tablet. So you are not really getting the best of both worlds. Rather you are just getting a bit of each. I think they exist more as a marketing idea.

Aree Wongwanlee, Oct 10, 2016
  15. vinaya

Vash

I have been using a Surface Pro 4 for a year. Yes, it is the true two-in-one device. I am not saying it is better than a traditional laptop, it is just more convenient. Two-in-one devices are really light, which makes them more portable.

To be honest, while I like my surface Pro 4 very much, it doesn't really replace a tablet in my opinion. I have both a iPad Air 2 and a Kindle Fire HDX. So I can compare them easily.

As a laptop it is perfect, and extremely portable.
    As a tablet, it is still on the big side. It would not be comfortable to hold it in your hands to watch a movie as a tablet. You need to set it down somewhere. It is still too heavy for holding in the hand(s) for long period of time.

Vash, Oct 10, 2016
Ask a Question