Do You Own Replacement Batteries?

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by TheViper, Sep 1, 2016.

1. TheViper

TheViper

My friend owns at least ten replacement batteries for his laptop. You would think he has several laptops for all these batteries. Though, these batteries are all for one laptop that he barely uses over his Mac. I simply don't get it but I'm wondering if you guys guys purchase replacement batteries?

TheViper, Sep 1, 2016
  2. TheViper

Corzhens

From what I know, extra laptop battery is not cheap that's why I have the impression that your friend is wealthy to have 10 replacement batteries. As long as the laptop's charging mechanism works well, you wouldn't need so many extra batteries. Maybe 1 replacement battery is more than enough unless the laptop cannot charge the battery anymore (this happened to my smart phone so I had to buy a separate battery charger).

Corzhens, Sep 1, 2016
  3. TheViper

Elektron

Well, my laptop's battery has not been replaced since one year ago, I actually leaned how to take proper care of my battery and that sort ofthing. You will never, ever need a replacement or a spare battery if you know how to make your battery last longer. Take proper care of it and be happy.

Elektron, Sep 1, 2016
  4. TheViper

Aree Wongwanlee

Replacement battery for the laptop? No, never bought one before. My old laptop did have a dead battery. I asked around and found that the price of a new battery was not what I was prepared to pay. So the old laptop became a desktop, permanently shackled to its charging cable.

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 1, 2016
  5. TheViper

rz3300

Well I don't, but I should. Especially given my history of needing them and not having them, you would think that I would wisen up a bit and go get one, but here I am. It is just one of those that keeps getting put off again and again, and even now I will say that I will do it because I really cannot say with certainty. It is a good backup plan though and good to have on hand, so thanks for sharing.

rz3300, Sep 1, 2016
  6. TheViper

SirJoe

No I don't. I don't know of anyone that does for that matter. Even when the battery of my laptop dies I probably won't buy a replacement.

SirJoe, Sep 1, 2016
  7. TheViper

vinaya

I have one replacement battery. When my existing battery's back up decreased to 40 minutes, I bought another battery. When ever I use up back from one battery and there is no electricity, I change battery and continue to use my laptop. Replacement battery is a good option for those people who do not have electricity back up plan.

vinaya, Sep 2, 2016
  8. TheViper

BlueText

I used to have a replacement battery for my Toshiba laptop because the one it came with would only last one class period. So I would have two for the classes and then charge one while I was at work, take it out, and charge the other while I slept. But with my Mac, I'll never touch the inside of the Mac, so I don't have a replacement battery fort. I haven't had a problem with it. Three years later and I can still get six hours on it with only two programs up.

BlueText, Sep 2, 2016
  9. TheViper

djtech

Well, I replaced my laptop's battery when the old one stopped working. But, I don't have one lying around as a backup. I do however, have a couple of mice, headsets and external keyboards, because I code 8 hours a day and game another 4. I simply can't afford to not have those peripherals.

Batteries are easy to take care of - just connect your laptop to an external source as scarcely as possible. Its usually the over-charging that kills the batteries in laptops.

djtech, Sep 5, 2016
    Karen Gordon likes this.
  10. TheViper

Karen Gordon

I didn't know that about the batteries Dj tech. Both my batteries are dead in the laptops. One of them came that way to me, but the other one went down all of a sudden after about a year. I have kept this one plugged in often so that might be the reason that it failed. I am going to get some new batteries soon I think.

Karen Gordon, Sep 5, 2016
  11. TheViper

Aree Wongwanlee

I have been told about this a few times before. Does it really happen? I mean, does it really shorten the working life of the battery if it's hooked up, more or less, permanently to the electrical socket? What exactly happens when the battery is being continuously charged? Doesn't it have some kind of auto cutoff mechanism that stops the charging when the battery is full?

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 8, 2016
  12. TheViper

djtech

No, there's no cutoff mechanism as such. The energy will simply transform itself into heat, which again will damage the battery. For a complete understanding of all of this, please refer to Link

djtech, Sep 10, 2016
  13. TheViper

Aree Wongwanlee

Thank you for the information. All this time, I thought there is some kind of cut-off mechanism. That's really weird, isn't it? On smartphones, we have apps to cut-off the charging when the battery is full. Maybe I should ask Uncle Google whether there are any utilities to do the same thing for laptops. Anyone knows?

Aree Wongwanlee, Sep 11, 2016
  14. TheViper

acerme2

I don't feel a need to buy a replacement battery anytime soon as my battery is working fine in spite of the many abuses it's been going through lately. May laptop is two years old and its battery power is still great. I can unplug it and still be able to work for 5 hours+ without charging. A battery pack is just too expensive for me and buying an extra pack is just not in my budget. I'd rather put the money into the purchase of a replacement laptop a year or two from now.

acerme2, Sep 15, 2016
  15. TheViper

cluckeyo

I don't think it is wise to purchase replacement batteries for the laptop in advance. Windows gives a warning when the battery strength is starting to fail. That gives you time to go online and get another. You can have it delivered to your door and it will be there when you need it. I want a FRESH new battery, not one that has been laying around for years.

cluckeyo, Sep 15, 2016
  16. TheViper

AntonioCalcano

I don't like replacement batteries because I haven't had any luck with the ones I've bought in the past. I've found out that if I leave them without using for long they tend to decrease in performance and some of them stop working altogether so it's a good idea to have them if you're going to use them constantly.

AntonioCalcano, Sep 21, 2016
Ask a Question