Do you have a phablet?

Discussion in 'Laptop General Discussion' started by vinaya, Jun 15, 2016.

1. vinaya

vinaya

Phablet is a device that is a hybrid of a smartphone and a tablet. It works like a phone but better than a phone because it has bigger screen. I don't have a phablet, but I am considering to buy it soon.

vinaya, Jun 15, 2016
  2. vinaya

sparkster

I think smartphones are getting more and more like phablets these days. Take a look at the new iPhones and the new Samsung Galaxy devices - they are primarily phones but after phones originally getting smaller and smaller they now seem to be getting bigger and bigger. Can these newer smartphones not be considered to be phablets themselves? It's getting to the point where they are almost eliminating the point of even having tablets as an option. Obviously, a phone is better because it has more functions. Tablets are becoming obsolete in my opinion, not that they were that good in the first place anyway. My experience with tablets, and I've had quite a few, has been terrible. They seem quite pointless to me.

sparkster, Jun 15, 2016
  3. vinaya

Sefie

Nah, the fact I can fit my smart phone easily in my purse is the main reason I would never consider a bigger device. Simply because it's not practical at all for me, and I just can't find a bigger looking smart phone aesthetic.

Sefie, Jun 15, 2016
  4. vinaya

fcuco

It is my understanding that the Phablet as a concept failed, at least in terms of the huge iPhone 6 plus, don't get me wrong, they still sold like a bazillion devices but I think I read somewhere that people were discovering after using the device for a few months that the form factor is not particularly comfortable at least for a phone: you need both hands to type, it is bulky and offers no particular advantage while being too small to function as a proper tablet. If the iPhone 7 goes smaller then what I read is true, we will have to wait and see.

fcuco, Jun 15, 2016
  5. vinaya

nytegeek

Actually, it didn't fail. They continue to be developed and people continue to purchase them. They are very useful for somebody that wants to get work done without carrying a tablet or laptop with them.

nytegeek, Jun 16, 2016
  6. vinaya

obliviousme

I've never heard of this term before, but i do have an iPad and i guess it can be considered a phablet. It's a tablet but has all the basic phone capabilities, such as texting and calling features.

obliviousme, Jun 16, 2016
  7. vinaya

nytegeek

An iPad is not a phablet. It is a tablet. iPhone 6 Plus, Samsung Galaxy Note, and LG G Stylo are examples of phablets.

nytegeek, Jun 16, 2016
  8. vinaya

Vash

I think you got the definition wrong.

The term "Phablet" is not some kind of hybrid device. It is actually a joke term produced for the introduction of extra large screen smartphones. Some examples are Samsung Note 3, 4, etc. and iPhone 6 Plus. Basically any smartphone with a screen of 5.5" or above can be considered a "phablet". Because they are approaching the size of smaller tablets.

These smartphones are still smartphones, they do not work better than smartphones. The only difference is the screen size. They are great for people who do not wish to carry both a phone and a tablet at the same time.

Personally, I think anything more than 5" is too big as a smartphone. I have used Galaxy S5, and it was slightly too big for me already. I can't imagine the size of hand required for a Note 3, 5, and Plus.

P.S. It has nothing to do with laptop. Since Phablets are referring to extra large smartphones.

Vash, Jun 16, 2016
  9. vinaya

nytegeek

Like many terms intended as a joke the people that don't understand the joke ran with it and it became a mainstream term. Love it or hate it the word Phablet is here to stay.

nytegeek, Jun 16, 2016
  10. vinaya

vinaya

I never saw a point in carrying, smartphone, tablet, and laptop at a time. I use phone to make calls and check internet, rest of the things I do on my laptop. However, I think phablets saves us the trouble of using a smartphone and talet at a time. Since phablet is a smartphone, but only bigger, and a tablet but can accommodate GSM or WCDMA SIM, I find them very useful.

vinaya, Jun 18, 2016
  11. vinaya

judyd1

This is the first time I've heard the word phablet. The name seems a little clunky, even if I understand the etymology. I think, though, that as long as people continue to look for devices that are convenient, and that fill some need, that devices will continue to evolve to fit those needs.

For a long time, devices were getting smaller and smaller. And that was the cool thing to do. Now with tablets and cell phones getting larger, bigger is the cool thing to do. But it's all about what meets my needs right now. Somewhere between a hand held device and a small portable television is a LOT of room for diversity in gadgets and products.

judyd1, Jun 18, 2016
  12. vinaya

Fuzyon

I've been thinkin of buying a Samsung Galaxy Note recently, not really sure if I would get anything bonus because the phone is a phablet but I think it's a pretty cool device despite it being harder to carry around. It's better suited for business, you're better off using a regular smartphone if you just want to text, call and play games on it.

Fuzyon, Jun 18, 2016
  13. vinaya

Vash

I never said it is not here to stay. I simply pointed out the mistake of OP who thought it is some kind of "hybrid device"... It is not. Phablet refers to extra large smartphones, nothing more. They are pure phones, with just larger screens.

Vash, Jun 19, 2016
  14. vinaya

Novelangel

From my understanding, ALL tablets are phone capable as long as you download the proper apps and your device has a microphone and speaker. For example, I have a 7 inch tablet that is not used as a phone but if I download the same app that I use for calling on my smart phone, and connect the two devices, I can make calls on my tablet too. Not that I want to, as that would be ridiculous and bulky, not to mention inconvenient to lug around.

Novelangel, Jun 19, 2016
  15. vinaya

IcyBC

I haven't heard of this term before, but I think it is a great idea that they develop something like that. Carrying one useful device to do everything you need to do away from home is a good thing. Many of the new smart phones nowadays are getting bigger too though.

IcyBC, Jun 19, 2016
  16. vinaya

Vash

Most tablets are WiFI only. They aren't capable of making phone calls. Yes, a lot of instant messenger apps these days are capable of voice calls, but they require internet connection through either WiFI or 3G/4G. Otherwise, you can't use them. They are still different from regular phone calls.

Vash, Jun 19, 2016
  17. vinaya

nytegeek

I was not disputing your definition.

nytegeek, Jun 19, 2016
  18. vinaya

fcuco

Well, you can make "phone calls" using some voice over IP service, but that's only going to work via WiFi, so if you are willing to find a WiFi hot spot when you are outside your house to send and receive calls a tablet can't be considered a phone, unless it has a spot for a SIM card and actual 4G capabilities.

fcuco, Jun 20, 2016
Ask a Question