Display Issue

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by colbyu, May 25, 2009.

1. colbyu

colbyu

Hi all. I just picked up an Aspire One AOA 110 for real cheap because it has a problem with it's display. I was wondering what sort of insight or advice you could give me about this issue.

First of all, the problem shows up from POST and BIOS onward, so it's apparently hardware related. Second, the external display looks fine (and runs nicely at it's native res of 1280x1024 btw) so the issue is most likely somewhere in the screen itself or it's connection.

What happens is this: the screen seems to be having alot of trouble displaying a range of colors, usually in brighter areas of the display. Colors that should be in a gradient appear as a blotch of one uniform color, and the brightest whites are displayed as bright pink-purple. I noticed the problem go away once when the LCD was dimming to go into sleep mode, but manually dimming the display doesn't fix it. Probably because I'm only turning dowm the backlight.

I plan on opening up the screen, once I pick up some small screw drivers and a parts holder, to see if there's some obvious defect or loose connection. Next step would be to buy a new screen and replace it. It would suck though if the problem wasn't in the screen after all and I ended up wasting money on the replacement. Does this sound like a likely candidate for a new LCD as a fix?

It's a bit of a dilemma. For what I paid for it, I'd be satisfied using it with an external monitoe as an ultra low profile desktop. Maybe attach it to the back of a desktop monitor. I'd like to fix it up if I can though, but if the problem isn't the LCD than I will have wasted $50 on the replacement and doubled what I paid for the thing.

colbyu, May 25, 2009
  2. colbyu

nmesisca

sounds like you did a proper toubleshooting.
    I would say it is either the screen itself or its connector.
    have a look on ebay, you should be able to find a second hand screen (if you cant pinpoint an obvious hardware fault when you open it).

nmesisca, May 26, 2009
  3. colbyu

colbyu

Found the issue.

After a thorough take-apart and troubleshooting, I discovered that the lid wiring assembly had been improperly routed through the hinge, and several of the wires were frayed and broken. I'm happy that I don't have to pay for a new screen, but I do need to obtain a replacement cable or attempt to repair this one. The assembly consists of several wires coated in an insulating shellac, so I may be able to scrape the broken ones bare at the ends and attach them together. I probably should just order a new one though.

Anyone know of a good source for this part or have a spare you could sell me?

colbyu, May 27, 2009
Ask a Question