Display brightness constantly changes

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Markus42, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Markus42

Markus42

Hi,

I have a new Acer Aspire One D255 and have a problem:
    While using it, the display brightness changes from bright to dark. After some seconds, it switches back to bright. After a minute it turn dark again, and so on....
    I know that there's the battery saver function to reduce the brightness when not using the netbook, but this happens even while I am typing or moving my mouse.

Can you please help? Is there anything I can do or check about this?
    Thanks!
    Markus

Markus42, Jan 2, 2011
  2. Markus42

Swarvey Moderator

Do the 255's have a light detecting diode in them? Windows 7 has Adaptive Brightness. Which measures the amount of ambiant light and adjusts brightness of the screen accordingly in an attempt to maintain visibility while being able to maximise battery life. I haven't seen it work yet but that's probably because I haven't seen a note/netbook yet that has the appropriate sensors. Does the 255 have them? Try stopping the adaptive display service and see if that stops it.

Swarvey, Jan 3, 2011
  3. Markus42

Markus42

I don't think that I do have such a sensor since I have nothing read about it and I can't find in the control panel or somewhere else.
    Because it never happens when my netbook is plugged in, I think it has something to do with the setting that the brightness should be readjusted when the battery level falls below 40% (for example). I think that windows isn't sure about if the battery has 39% or 40% and that's why it changes the brightness several times .... I will disable this feature and wait if it happens again.

Markus42, Jan 3, 2011
  4. Markus42

Swarvey Moderator

Try another battery? Yours might be faulty.

Swarvey, Jan 3, 2011
Ask a Question