discontinue8.9"+10"no linux=no more linux support!

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by steven.chien, Jan 27, 2009.

1. steven.chien

steven.chien

I read news that the 10" AA1 will ship with XP, if so, I think there will be a great possibility that Acer will discontinue the support with the "Linpus" thing soon. That means we may have to move to other distro. soon~~! But there are no distro. which fully support AA1 yet(need modifications which I don't think most users will like to deal with). What to do!!!??!?!?? :?

Also, I now realized that why Apple didn't join the market of "netbook", I personally never say the word "netbook" but I called them Notebooks, but smaller in size. As we can see the trend, the so call "netbook" is becoming more and more like a standard notebook. The Macbook got a 13" screen and the latest AA1 is going to have a 10" screen and use HHD, we can see that the differences are getting smaller and smaller. One day, I think "netbook" will disappear, because they are just notebooks! :p

steven.chien, Jan 27, 2009
  2. steven.chien

jackluo923

Your definition of netbook is not entirely correct.

Netbook is a laptop that has intel atom processor, intel chipset, wifi. The netbook that comes with XP most not have more than 1GB of ram. It's primary purpose is to go on the internet.

jackluo923, Jan 27, 2009
  3. steven.chien

steven.chien

I agree, but the trend now, is that the size is getting more and more like a normal notebook and the specification are getting higher and higher, in the end, I think it will end up just like a normal notebook.... :)

steven.chien, Jan 27, 2009
  4. steven.chien

Shad0wguy

...with an Atom processor

Shad0wguy, Jan 27, 2009
  5. steven.chien

Bradskey

I don't think "netbooks" need to advance past a 10" screen. With the Acer the form factor was really already big enough almost to accomodate it, so why not? I realize there are a couple of devices out there with 12" screens and the Atom, don't know that I'd call them netbooks. I don't think these should become the norm, I hope the form factor is more or less stabilizing on 10" and they can concentrate on newer processors/chipsets, Windows 7, and connectivity (wireless N, WiMax, 3G). For you Linux lovers I guess it might be a bummer if SSD option disappears. You could still pay the premium and then install your own SSD (but the blows the netbook price advantage away) and Linux distro of choice. I'm pretty sure I heard that Eeebuntu NBR runs on the ONE without little or no tweakng. I've been meaning to try installing it to a thumb drive just for fun.

Bradskey, Jan 27, 2009
  6. steven.chien

Mental

It's a bit weird, I swear I read somewhere on the internet a while ago that Acer said they were going to have a proper go at putting Linux on their machines, and promoting it more.

Mental, Jan 27, 2009
  7. steven.chien

steven.chien

really? where, can you post it up here so every one can read it? thanks

steven.chien, Jan 29, 2009
  8. steven.chien

steven.chien

great! I just read www.aspireoneuser.com that Acer will ship the new aspire one 10" with both windows and linux, HDD or SSD!

steven.chien, Jan 30, 2009
  9. steven.chien

jackluo923

For me, I'd love to have windows XP with tonnes of bloatware, ads, trial softwares ..etc. the more the better. This way, it'll keep the netbook's price down while keeping my operating system legal. It's a win-win situation for me. I could careless about preinstalled linux on AAO. If i'm going to use linux, I can install (k)ubuntu from a stack of free cds which I collect since version 5.5.

jackluo923, Jan 30, 2009
  10. steven.chien

Mental

Just found an article on it

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/22181 ... linux-hard

Mental, Jan 30, 2009
  11. steven.chien

steven.chien

Although I am a Linux lover(I love Mac too), I am really worry about the market share of Linux even on Netbooks. As Linux's nature is a difficult to use system(difficult even you have the GUI), many users would like to go back to XP since they found that "MS Office" can not be installed on Netbooks. I really wonder if this if market strategy will really work? ;)

steven.chien, Jan 31, 2009
  12. steven.chien

jackluo923

I never knew office couldn't be installed on linux. As far as I know, i've been running office in wine for a couple years already.

Here's a guide on how to install office 2007 on linux if you don't know how to already.
    http://www.wine-reviews.net/microsoft/o ... guide.html

jackluo923, Feb 1, 2009
  13. steven.chien

steven.chien

I am sure most of us know how to use wine, but not the main stream users. Do you expect one who only knows how to push the power button to enter the terminal than install Wine than install Office? :lol:

steven.chien, Feb 2, 2009
  14. steven.chien

jackluo923

Well.. those ppls are screwed. I'm sure most linux distros (other than linpus lite) has wine preinstalled, or at least easily updatable through YUM or something.

But anyways.. Windows FTW.

I secretly have a box full of free ubuntu and kubuntu at home. :lol:

jackluo923, Feb 2, 2009
Ask a Question