Disabling paging on 512mb RAM?

Discussion in 'Windows' started by simbeb, Sep 13, 2008.

1. simbeb

simbeb

Hi

I am learning as much as I can what to do to optimize XP on an SSD before I install it. I have read on the web that disabling paging on a PC that has less than 1gb RAM is a no-no. Should I really avoid doing it? Has anybody tried? What is the result?

Cheers.

simbeb, Sep 13, 2008
  2. simbeb

goofball

you're kinda stuck since the SSD is no good with Windows XP and all the writes/reads it has to do all the time, which is why disabling the page file helps. While not a great idea to do it with only 512MB memory, you really have no choice if you want to try to have an acceptable xp experience on the SSD.

goofball, Sep 13, 2008
  3. simbeb

westonpf

I have a stock AA1 with only 512MB, was a linux model but I have installed XP, it's also the one with the slower SSD. I used TinyXP Rev09 and have left the pagefile running. Ihave found for basic use the AA1 performs fine. No problems with web browsing checking e-mails and some basic office type stuff, I use OpenOfficeOrg. The slow write speeds don't seem to be creating a big problem but then again I don't do anything on my AA1 that is particularly memory hungry. With less than 1gb of memory disabling pagefile is known to cause problems.

Boot up times and shutdown times are good so long as the wifi is turned off.

I hear lots of issues about the slow speed of the SSD but I haven't found it to be a major problem, I accept that my AA1 is only a netbook and not a replacement for my MacBook Pro ad only use it for light applications when I am out and about.

westonpf, Sep 13, 2008
Ask a Question